cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Narrow Gauge & Post WW II Germany

We were watching (Netflix) "I was a Male War Bride" and there were a couple scenes with trains. Most interesting were a couple showing an temporary narrow gauge track setup for debris clearing from war destroyed buildings. The film was released in 1949 so there must have been plenty of authentic war damage. I will post a couple screen captures for educational purposes from the movie. Charles PS: Pete, maybe you can sneak in scene like the track next to a building rubble pile, on the side behind a panel dividing the scene from the rest of the layout. A kind of space warp to Germany.
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Narrow Gauge & Post WW II Germany

Charles your pics are up, enjoy the education. ]:)
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

First picture with Cary Grant (in the side car)and Ann Sheridan (driving the motorcycle) does show a temporary railway. The second picture seems to show the electrical powered street railway. More permanent. It's also interesting to note that there is steam being released from the engine. So is this an alternate steam powered engine in case the electrical power is lost due to wartime peoblems? I believe that the military occupation took over the street car rails for their needs. The streets are bricks or cobblestone if you look closely and therefore I do not believe this is a temporary set up. That is a very funny movie by the way. I love Archibald Leash. ]:)
Message 4 of 4
latest reply