cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this unusual stone not sure if Jade?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What is this unusual stone not sure if Jade?

Good stuff! And if they are, they may be worth something. Are you going to list them if you don't find a definite attribution of the stone? I don't have any idea what crysoprase like that goes for, but I saw a strand a while back that was ?$300? I think? So, its worth it to know. 

Tell me what you discover when you're done!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Could also be Burmese jade, nephrite, chrysoprase, amazonite, or treated prehnite.  I would do two things:

1. Get a loupe and examine the clasp carefully. Try to determine if its Ivory or bone (or cellulose/plastic.) If it's ivory, that will both increase the value and help narrow down the possible candidates for the stone. (Ivory and its various forms are determined via the Schrager lines, which are small and hard to see/differentiate.) 

2. Closely compare your stone's makeup, (like its crystalline forms and colors) with online close ups of the stones I've listed above, but not to the exclusion of other possibilities. 

I am curious to see what you find, please keep us updated. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Can not make out if it's Ivory or bone but it's not celluloid I believe it might be chrysoprase.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Good stuff! And if they are, they may be worth something. Are you going to list them if you don't find a definite attribution of the stone? I don't have any idea what crysoprase like that goes for, but I saw a strand a while back that was ?$300? I think? So, its worth it to know. 

Tell me what you discover when you're done!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the answer win!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

This looks like glass to me.  It looks like transparent green glass frit smoothed into the surface of white glass.  The only hole I can see part of does not look drilled.  You can check the holes and see if they go straight in (drilled stone) or if they have a lip or are fairly large (glass).  You also can get an idea from the way the beads feel on your cheek.  Stone will feel ice cold.  Glass will be cool, but not really cold.  You can feel something you know is stone and something that is glass and compare. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I am now thinking this may be glass thanks for your help!!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I think you may be right thanks for your help!!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

They look like glass beads to me, made to look similar to stones (with a patterning that's reminiscent of tree agate). Some good info above about determining material.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply