cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to identify stones (?) in vintage beaded necklace from the 70s

Hello and TIA for any help with this. It was my Moms and she got it early 70s in Mexico. The beads are fairly heavy and cool and feel almost like marble. Some beads have lots of color variation and others have very little stripe. Its strung on a copper colored wire. I want to list it but dont know what I should call it! Thanks for any help. IMG_20230708_151713851.jpgIMG_20230708_151758286 (1).jpg

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help to identify stones (?) in vintage beaded necklace from the 70s

@schatz320 

Thanks for the improved pic!

One important thing: What does the clasp read? Is it unmarked? Mex?, .925? An unmarked spring ring really tanks the value, both for identification and resale.

I am on the ropes between Jasper and Agate, it's hard to determine the translucency, so I hope you can take those two candidates and come back with the final decision. There are apps that I.D. stones, and they can be helpful - they can also be a great way to get the wrong idea and chase your tail for a week.

Here are a couple examples of what jumped to mind when I saw this post:

Screenshot_20230709-170813.png

Screenshot_20230709-171020.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@schatz320 

Let's tag @maeday76 

She's a great bead girl, I'm not..

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thanks Silver

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@schatz320 

Ummm, hun, while I appreciate a good best answer selected,  I was tagging another poster to come and help you. Mae usually appears on weekends and she's quite good with beads.

So with that said, please click on the box on this post vvvvv

Screenshot_20230708_201427_Chrome~3.jpg

 where it says best answer  to remove this solution.  Let's see if poster mayday comes or anyone else to really help you with your beads, best to you Silver

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Sorry I didnt intend to do that. I dont really know how I did it.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

slightly better pic 

IMG_20230708_190338189.jpg

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes thanks for your confidence in me as always 🤩🤞🧠. My first thought is agate. Possibly jasper or alabaster. Let me triple check, but I believe that's the (agate) case. If it were an Angela Cummings for Tiffany agate strand, you'd be looking at +/- $450.

The clasp tells me that's not the case, but they are nice and if I can confirm agate, or other stone*I hope it helps you get it sold easier! 

(Standby for total launch failure...)

*See Mae for details, no online inspection of stone is 100% accurate. Mae does not assert her knowledge or lack thereof to be better than she opinion of a random wino on a bus. Some restrictions apply. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@schatz320 

Thanks for the improved pic!

One important thing: What does the clasp read? Is it unmarked? Mex?, .925? An unmarked spring ring really tanks the value, both for identification and resale.

I am on the ropes between Jasper and Agate, it's hard to determine the translucency, so I hope you can take those two candidates and come back with the final decision. There are apps that I.D. stones, and they can be helpful - they can also be a great way to get the wrong idea and chase your tail for a week.

Here are a couple examples of what jumped to mind when I saw this post:

Screenshot_20230709-170813.png

Screenshot_20230709-171020.png

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Yes the spring ring has no marks. The only thing that's looked anywhere close to me is onyx and quartz so I really thank you for your ideas. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

~smacks forehead~

Don't rule out Onyx. Can't believe I didn't consider that sooner. Especially being from Mexico...

They'll carve a commode and car rims out of any onyx you leave lying around! 

Please let us know what you find!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

The stripage factor is making me lean toward agate. I will keep looking but leaning toward agate now

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Striping can happen with all three. There's something about the bands on agate being straight vs onyx being curved (but I can't recall.) And I think the rule is Jasper has to be opaque (no light shines through it.)

Oh, also I found this nifty site. I've screen shotted the highlights below:

Screenshot_20230709-175356.png

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@maeday76 

@schatz320 

Thank you Mae for coming and giving OP great info. I did try to view similar and Agate was also coming up. Schatz, thanks for this interesting post and clearing the best answer for poster Mae earned it truly!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply