cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bakelite or some other plastic?

Hopefully someone can help me identify the age and material of these and what they would have been used for.  I have two they are  2 1/4 inches by 2 inches.  Do you know what they came off of or used for?  Thank you in advance for any information.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Bakelite or some other plastic?

@66msarah 

If it's true bakelite, rub it till it gets warm or run it over hot water than smell, Bakelite has formaldehyde in it and you cannot mistake that scent.

If I were to guess, your pieces may have come off of a ladies vanity set such as the back of a mirror.

I'll send you some fun facts to view on the different plastics used during that midcentury time period.

http://www.collectics.com/education_plastic.html

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hello - These are most likely made of celluloid.  They were used for many things - as silverstatetreasureboxes pointed out they were affixed to vanity items - trinket box covers, mirrors, etc.  They were also affixed to the center of black bakelite pendants and pins - if you search -celluloid bakelite cameo - you will pull up pendants and pins with ivory-colored celluloid pieces just like yours glued onto them.  They can be found in late Victorian mourning pieces, c.1905, up to the 1930s.  Your pieces look as though they are from the 1920s.  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I did rub it vigorously and I did get a bad smell.  Would that be the formaldehyde smell that you referred to?  Does that mean they are bakelite?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I did as silverstatetreasureboxes said to do and rubbed it vigorously and a bad smell came from it.  Celluloid has no smell when rubbed, does it.  Would that mean these are bakelite?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@66msarah 

Well after rubbing and you " got the smell" it's probably Bakelite. Celluloid is very soft an can burn easy..I believe it has more of a vinegar type smell and there is a hot needle test you can do but wouldn't recommend it.

That link I sent you explains differences. ( it's not a download).

Yeah but once you smell true Bakelite you instantly know!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply