cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vintage or antique jade pendant ..estate sale had marked it mutton fat? hoping for help with ID

This pendant is quite interesting..it had a tag which noted it was mutton fat..but I'm clueless. The settingn looks like it may be silver but there are no marks of any kind.Any help with ID would be greatly appreciated

Sharon

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: vintage or antique jade pendant ..estate sale had marked it mutton fat? hoping for help with ID

I am certainly no expert on jade but I watch the Antiques Road Show on TV.  Looks more like spinach jade to me.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: vintage or antique jade pendant ..estate sale had marked it mutton fat? hoping for help with ID

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Chinese-Jade-Jade-Basics-/10000000018970877/g.html

"Luster - The preferred surface of jade is very important to its value. With nephrite, the most desirable surface is one that has a soft luster and an oily appearance which is often called "Mutton fat". Unctuous is another term used to describe the desired sheen of nephrite. "Dry" is a derogitory term with jade. "
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

It looks more like moss agate than jade from here.   Muttonfat, i.e. white jade, that isn't.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

^^^^What she said^^^^

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the link.. I'll be continuing my research.. "unctious" is a word I'd never heard applied to Jade..but I do Like it.

Sharon

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I agree with the moss agate identification. Just doesn't look like "mutton fat" nephrite jade to me at all.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Definitely not mutton fat which is a term used for top quality Hetian nephrite jade.  Mutton fat is not exactly white, but supposed the color of frozen mutton (or fat) but more like the color of milk.  This piece is too transluscent to be neprhite jade, small chace of being jadeite, more than likely some types of agate/quartz or even glass.  Hard to tell for sure from pictures alone.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply