cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vintage brooch

Hi everyone!

I thought I posted this question about 2 hrs. ago, but I don't see the post....not sure what I did wrong.

I picked up this pretty brooch over the weekend.....just because I couldn't resist it. I walked away a couple of times, but 3rd time I had to buy it.

Is this aurora borealis?

Can anyone ID maker?

Are the stones called Navatte in style?

Would the color be described as Topaz?

It's approcx. 2" round.

TYIA!abpinbrooch3.jpgabpinbrooch5.jpgabpinbrooch4.jpg

judy
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: vintage brooch

The stones are marquise shape (I think navettes are similar but longer and thinner).. Looks like a nice quality unsigned beauty.

In researching a maker Id probably start with Weiss, trying to find a matching piece thats marked, or old advertisement.

But often times its just not possible to assign a maker., and they remain unsigned  but not unloved beauties

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi Judy.  Like Cleio said, the pointed stones are more marquise-shaped than navette and the outer layer is AB or aurora borealis.  I agree also that it may fall into the "unsigned beauty" category, but that's OK.  Brooches that attractive will sell on their own merits.  I would personally use amber to describe the color of the inside layer of stones, but topaz would also work.  All the stones prong-set, which is a sign of a higher quality piece.  You have a very nice brooch there!  Glad you didn't walk away from it!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Just in time for falll
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you so much for your responses and help......Cleio, Gauntlet and Dream......

I thought it was pretty good quality, and happy to know I was correct!Smiley Happy

Thanks again for your help.....very much appreciated.

I just love the colors and sparkle!!

judy
Message 5 of 5
latest reply