cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not jewelery but need advice.

Ladies not jewellery but need some advice; Have any of you had your vertebra fused. I have been told that I have to have two sections done or I will end up in a wheel chair before long. They cannot give me pain killers strong enough for me to cope much longer. I have heard such aweful things about this operation. Either way it will mean prbably the end of my jewellery life.Charm.

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: not jewelery but need advice.

Charm, I'm not sure if my experiences will compare to your's but I've had 2 fusion surgeries, the first to fuse C4-5 and the next to reinforce it.

This was back in 1974 and 1982 so they probably do things different now.

They used bone grafts from my pelvis both times.

Is your's in the cervical level or lower ?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I've seen it work wonders, but if the screw up well...'nuff said.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I had to have 2 in my lower back fused and it still hurts some but compared to what it was, I will take this any day. Within 2 weeks of having it done, I felt like a new person. I have a metal cage, a metal plate, 2 rods and lots of screws holding it all together and they took part of my hip bone to fix it also. But to me, it was worth it. I had mine done 11 years ago. My son just had 2 done in his neck about 2 months ago and you can't tell there was ever anything wrong with him now. I guess it would depend on your doctor, make sure you use one that specializes in backs and nothing else.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Not me, but my husband had 2 done in his neck and so did my BIL,  neither have had any problems.  They have come a long way in those types of surgeries in the last several years.

Now, believe it or not, our basset hound had 2 done last year (jumped off the bed and was instantly paralyzed)  and he is doing fine.  I know, dogs aren't the same, but how the surgery is done is pretty close believe it or not. 

Hope all turns out well for you, let us know what happens.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Ladies, I thank you you for your help and advice. To-day is the first day that I haven't been doped to the eyeballs and therefore able to write this. Hearing from people with experience means more to me than advice from a knife happy surgeon at the moment. Having had some botched up surguery in the past. Each and everyone of you has given me the courage to rethink. The one on the dodg really touched me , as a smile or two made the pain not so unbearable. 

The medics have told me I must give up just about everything I enjoy doing. Frankly, it made me wonder what was the point of being here. 

Thank you all. Jillian.

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

are you sure that physical therapy wont help?  Ive heard that the US does the most of this type of surgery out of any country

just recently read this, so keep your eye out for out of network doctors!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/us/drive-by-doctoring-surprise-medical-bills.html?_r=1

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 7 of 7
latest reply