cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low ball offers

Does anyone else been getting very low ball offers lately?  Just recieved 5 offers from the same buyer - some for .99 when I offer free shipping.  As you know shipping on a 4 oz. item would cost 2.66  why would I accept an offer that is going to cost me money?  I wasn't upset and responded with a counter offer and then explained about shipping costs.  This buyer is not a newbie with over 400 stars.  Then I thought maybe if all the offers were close it what I wanted and could ship them together I could think about something better.  Just never had a buyer make such low offers all at once.  I did counter with offers but would have given her a better price if her offers were not so silly.  Thinking maybe buyer had nothing to do last night.  Hope the rest of you didn't get low balled.  

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: low ball offers

@rixstuffwrote:

Here's one of those "it wasnt funny at the time, but is funny now" situations:

A buyer offered me $10 on a $100 item.  (No not a typo).

I countered $80

The buyer comes back and says that someone else has one for sale and theirs is only $55 and with free shipping.

Now I have to ask - 1. Why didnt he just buy THAT ONE instead and 2. Did he offer THAT seller $10?

Too funny! Maybe that buyer was trying it out on different sellers, seeing if he could get one to bite.

I would have told them "You should efinitely buy the $55 one."

Message 46 of 53
latest reply

lady at the butcher shop:

"how come your hamburger is $4.00 a pound, the butcher down the street is selling his for $3.00 a pound."

Butcher:

"why don't you buy it there then?"

Lady:

"He's all out"

Butcher:

"Oh. Well, when I'm all out, I only charge $2.00 a pound"

Message 47 of 53
latest reply

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 48 of 53
latest reply

Pixzee butcher joke funny!  On the story about the buyer offering $10. for a $100. item and saying they say it is listed on another listing for $55.  I think I would have had to reply to that buyer "hope you bought it"  And yes I started this post never thinking it could go on 3 pages.  I think the basic thought here is that we all are human.   Sellers on this board are ***** = five stars! Whe I am looking for something or just see somethng I like I feel so much better when I am dealing with you guys.  I hope you feel the same way about me.  Back to low ball offers.  I don't get upset but really think OMG what an idiot.  I think this summer when I have my yard sale with all my unsold stuff I will put in my ad "lowballers welcome!"  Love you guys!

Message 49 of 53
latest reply

I hope this isn't too much of a deviation from the OP.

Here is my general experience as a buyer when it comes my prospective on how sellers price items after I have checked the values on recently completed items that are the same as the item I am searching for. This is, I need to say, my experience, I am 100% certain that sellers will have a completely different experience and perception, but please respect my experience without having to invalidate it! (ie: "your numbers are completely made up and ridiculous"; rather "my experience is...")

1. The BIN prices very wildly for the exact same/similar item.

2. Prices rarely are listed at or near recently sold (last 3 months) price. For example, if I search solds for "Coro penguin" (don't know if they made a penguin, that's just my widget/example term) I might find:

• 4 sold under $19 (including shh)
  • the lowest being $12 with [1 bid],  
  • 1 sold at $32 at OBO, so we don't know the real price
  • 42 didn't sell with most being relisted monthly
3. here's what I have found to be usual for current listings of the Coro penguin [from the above example, using a $17 base sold price] with 20 sellers listing:

• ($12 or less) 1 seller will list at auction starting at $12 (lowest recent sold price) or a little less
  • ($17) 1 seller @ auction, starting at the base price but probably only offers expedited shipping ($8.99+7.95 shh)
  • ($21) 2 sellers will do something like the base price + 20%, @ OBO
  • ($27) 1 seller will use the base price + $10 standard shipping (though it will only cost about $4 to ship and package)
  • ($34) 3 sellers will price at twice the base price, BIN.
  • ($34) 4 sellers will price at twice the base price, BIN/OBO.
  • ($42.50+) 2 sellers will BIN at 2.5 x base, not including shh.
  • ($34-$70+) 4 sellers will price at wildly different prices, BIN/OBO, ranging from 2 x base to 4 x base or more with a perpetual %10 off sale.
OBO = or best offer/make an offer
BIN = buy it now

If the seller at $70 has listed for over a year, and I offer her twice the base price, $24 (65% off her asking price), should the seller be mortally insulted and immediately put me on her blocked bidders list?

I'd like to know if any sellers here have the courage to answer this question:

If you had the same sold/search results ($17 base sold price*), what would you price your coro penguin at? Would you sell it auction/BIN/OBO? How would you calculate shipping, below $4?, or only offer expedited shipping, or expedited plus handling?

*If you yourself were to estimate the recently sold price for a widgit to be $17.

Message 50 of 53
latest reply

In a case like this, if it's Coro I probably wouldn't be selling at all unless it has one of their better marks and is both rare and in excellent shape. (I call Coro "No Go" for good reason. )  A lot depends on condition, so if I had the $75 one in mint with original tags condition there's no way I'd take much less than my asking price and would block you for being a blockhead.  It would be researched.  If it was in standard condition I'd have listed at $17.99 BIN with first class shipping but without a BO, since I rarely use them.   

If a seller has one at a crazy price odds are it's not worth your time asking; I'd buy one at a much lower price and leave the crazy price one alone.  Odds are it's someone who paid way too much and is now trying to get out from under. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 51 of 53
latest reply

@evelyb30wrote:

In a case like this, if it's Coro ....

I used the name "CORO" because I was mainly referring to Jewelry sellers (this is the jewely board.) Sorry , I was unable to make it clear, but Coro was used instead of the word widget.

Message 52 of 53
latest reply

@pixzeewrote:
I hope this isn't too much of a deviation from the OP.

Here is my general experience as a buyer when it comes my prospective on how sellers price items after I have checked the values on recently completed items that are the same as the item I am searching for. This is, I need to say, my experience, I am 100% certain that sellers will have a completely different experience and perception, but please respect my experience without having to invalidate it! (ie: "your numbers are completely made up and ridiculous"; rather "my experience is...")

1. The BIN prices very wildly for the exact same/similar item.

2. Prices rarely are listed at or near recently sold (last 3 months) price. For example, if I search solds for "Coro penguin" (don't know if they made a penguin, that's just my widget/example term) I might find:

• 4 sold under $19 (including shh)
  • the lowest being $12 with [1 bid],  
  • 1 sold at $32 at OBO, so we don't know the real price
  • 42 didn't sell with most being relisted monthly
3. here's what I have found to be usual for current listings of the Coro penguin [from the above example, using a $17 base sold price] with 20 sellers listing:

• ($12 or less) 1 seller will list at auction starting at $12 (lowest recent sold price) or a little less
  • @($17) 1 seller @ auction, starting at the base price but probably only offers expedited shipping ($8.99+7.95 shh)
  • @($21) 2 sellers will do something like the base price + 20%, @ OBO
  • ($27) 1 seller will use the base price + $10 standard shipping (though it will only cost about $4 to ship and package)
  • ($34) 3 sellers will price at twice the base price, BIN.
  • ($34) 4 sellers will price at twice the base price, BIN/OBO.
  • ($42.50+) 2 sellers will BIN at 2.5 x base, not including shh.
  • ($34-$70+) 4 sellers will price at wildly different prices, BIN/OBO, ranging from 2 x base to 4 x base or more with a perpetual %10 off sale.
OBO = or best offer/make an offer
BIN = buy it now

If the seller at $70 has listed for over a year, and I offer her twice the base price, $24 (65% off her asking price), should the seller be mortally insulted and immediately put me on her blocked bidders list?

I'd like to know if any sellers here have the courage to answer this question:

If you had the same sold/search results ($17 base sold price*), what would you price your coro penguin at? Would you sell it auction/BIN/OBO? How would you calculate shipping, below $4?, or only offer expedited shipping, or expedited plus handling?

*If you yourself were to estimate the recently sold price for a widgit to be $17.

This is why I say sometimes you have to let the market tell you what it is "worth" - and something is only "worth" what someone will pay you for it.  You can ASK any price you want but until you find someone willing to pay it, you are gonna be stuck with it.

On another venue, they take 25% with flat shipping (for tiny items that comes to WWWWAAAAYYY over charging for shipping) but that site also takes offers so you have to do all kinds of math gymnastics to over price so that the 25% gets paid but you still make money and pad in enough to be able to offer a discount.  I think that some sellers are doing that here too.  BUT THEN AGAIN.. there are those sellers who take "offers" but are only willing to reduce the price $2 off $100 so that isnt much of a deal.  I might have paid $70-90 for it depending on what it is or how bad I want it but if there are 20 others listed for HALF as much you wonder when they are gonna get a clue.

Message 53 of 53
latest reply