cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would someone please help me ID this brooch, it has a strange finish

the goldtone on this brooch/pin is strange, please help with key words..

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I for got to show the back.. it is unsigned..

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Pretty heart

Looks like the 1980s to me. Maybe Freeform Wet Drizzle Metallic Finish.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

First, is this the actual metal finish on this piece or does it appear to be a plating to the original metal ... think japanning?  I would call the finish a splatter type finish.  I can't tell without having the piece in hand whether it is actually the metal or a form of overcoat on the metal.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Rain, it reminds me of the weeping gold pottery from the 60's - 70's.  Claudia

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks OCN, I will look up that freeform wet drizzle thing 🙂 and 1980 or any way at least 50 or 60's  because of the comet shooting star design..

Sandy, It appears to be the original coating, and I do say coating because it seems to be heavly coated but I am not sure of the technic, It is the same front and back only it has more shiny wet looking spots on the front that really makes it sparkel. and the stone is an AB and not prong set.. it is also more bumpy on the front. It reminds me of splatter ware but I think that is glass?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I thought it looked like a coating.  I would call it metallic splatter coating.  It combines a matte and  a bright polish look.  It really is unique.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

it does look just like that McCoy weeping gold / gold brocade stuff. Hadnt seen it on jewelry before. I vote for 60s

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks everyone.. cleio, sandy,claudia and OCN, that is exactly what I was thinking of.. Sorta of freeform comet with weeping gold metallic -splatter coating and it is unique, of all the jewelry I have I don't think I have another one with this finish and it is so sparkley..It is well made but not signed :(..

Thanks again I checked out Mcoy pottery and it looks like the finish I was thinking of.. the matte and shiny wet look..

Message 9 of 9
latest reply