cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why i am unable to test this 14K metal?

i have testing kit for 14K gold as i almost test every gold item i buy online. so i bought these studs as 14K. trying to scratch the metal on slab but metals super hard. does not matter how hard i push it wont scratch and transfer the metal on slab. how do i test these ? could these be electroplated? ( i am not sure if electroplated are super hard coating that is almost slippery and wont rub off.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Why i am unable to test this 14K metal?

Are these stamped 14k?  What part of the metal did you test?  Did you try a magnet?

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

That test will not tell you if a metal is solid gold or not.  After all you're only testing the surface.  If an item is tested by another method and shown to be solid gold, this test only tells you what the purity is.  

Lea
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Any time I have had a problem making a scratch on the stone, it is not gold. Gold is soft, and makes a mark very easily. I doubt they are gold plated either, because you would be getting a mark from that. Anything I have encountered that is that hard to scratch has been just costume jewelry, sorry to say. Have you checked the pearls? Try the tooth test to see if they are fake. That would also be a sure giveaway.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Are these marked? @christinesclassicjewelry is absolutely right
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

A couple of years back I won a lot auction and got a bunch of QVC "14K gold" stamped stuff.  Turns out theres more gold in my teeth than in that jewelry (with no cavities ever).  I didn't buy the lot for the QVC stuff - I was after the gemstones and sterling - but it just shows that there is ALOT of stamped stuff that cant put is money where its mouth is.  So the stamp may not mean as much as you think.  I also get tons of "925" stuff from China that isn't even PLATED just junk.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

And no electroplating doesn't get super hard.  I replate items all the time.  You can still scratch, buff, whatever and it does eventually wear off (ergo the replating) over time.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The OP's earrings are costume; you can see it in the way the posts are attached, if nothing else.  

I was looking at a junk drawer lot on this site recently and is has a cross marked 14k ... but I has me doubts as the saying goes.  The bidding hasn't gone high and I'm guessing everyone else looking at it has the same thought.   I've found more "gold" chains with fake Italian marks than I can count.  Some were brass and some stuck to magnets.  Fake sterling too.  I don't think the OP's earrings are fake, just costume not out to fool anyone if there aren't any hallmarks. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 8 of 8
latest reply