cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy loose inlaid stone (turquoise, onyx, coral etc)

Hi gang ~ My mom has a southwestern style sterling ring she loves but recently lost the inlaid stone. Can any of you recommend where I might find a replacement?  I sat down to search but of course can only think of mr. stones.....going to check there now but happened to think to ask here. Also, what type of glue to use so that this hopefully doesn't happen again? Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Where to buy loose inlaid stone (turquoise, onyx, coral etc)

Do you have a picture of the ring?   Maybe someone here would have a match for the missing stone?

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

In fact I do, thank you, Dream.

IMG_4472.JPG

The stone should be 11mm x 15mm. No luck at Mr. Stones.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Oh dear.  I belong to a lapidary club** and most inlaid stones are cut to fit in the setting OR the setting is custom made to fit the stones you have.  I often buy broken items and cut new stones myself to replace a broken or missing stone but I wont jump in and say cut it yourself.  Also it isnt the glue that is holding it in.  It maybe several stones glued together to make one bigger stone or multistone design but at the end of the day, the whole "piece" is set in the setting and the metal setting is holding it in (like an engine mount holds the larger engine assembled from smaller parts with different functions).  I wouldnt recommend holding an inlaid stone into metal with glue.  Can you post a picture?

**I also have some basic metal working skills and a basic soldering set up for doing repairs.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Oh dear.  I belong to a lapidary club** and most inlaid stones are cut to fit in the setting OR the setting is custom made to fit the stones you have.  I often buy broken items and cut new stones myself to replace a broken or missing stone but I wont jump in and say cut it yourself.  Also it isnt the glue that is holding it in.  It maybe several stones glued together to make one bigger stone or multistone design but at the end of the day, the whole "piece" is set in the setting and the metal setting is holding it in (like an engine mount holds the larger engine assembled from smaller parts with different functions).  I wouldnt recommend holding an inlaid stone into metal with glue. 

Can you post a picture?

**I also have some basic metal working skills and a basic soldering set up for doing repairs.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Just a few references -- I don't know what sort of products these sites carry.

AntiqueBeadPeddler.com

dreamtimecreations.com

earthlyadornments.com

stores.ebay/ca/freds-vintage-stuff

jansjewels.com

prettysnazzy.com

closeoutjewelryfindings.com

stores.ebay.com/heavenly-jewels

splendorintheglaas.net

ebay.com/usr/ponytail777

at etsy:

/ca/shop/moonspheres

/shop/thesupplyfactor

/shop/1grandma

/shop/bumbershootsupplies

There are more at etsy -- a search shouls spit them out.

You might try searching on  Lapidary Supplies both on eBay and on the net.  I remember there are several sellers of lapidary items.  You might turn up someone who would cut the stone and set it for you.  There's a guy names TopGems I remember from the old board, and he still sells finished cabochons.  He's a really nice guy, and he might work with you to ffigure this out.  (If you contact him, tell him I said hi.)

Good luck!  The ring looks very battractive.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Are you replacing the entire cabochon or just the part of the cab that is loose/broken?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Is the ring of particular sentimental value?  I just did an ebay search for multi-stone inlay southwestern ring and quite a few similar rings popped up.  I would imagine going that route would be less costly and chancey than trying to replace the stones.  I thought maybe the ring contained a single turquoise cab, but like rix said, it would be too difficult to try and replace multi-stone inlay.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thanks so much dream, rix & thirry. The ring is not at all sentimental or special except that it was her favorite from a recent haul & she wore it a lot. I hadn't considered simply buying another similar piece because I didn't think it was that big of a problem (can you tell I'm used to repairing costume?? Just find a new stone & glue it in, lol). 

She was wearing it while grocery shopping & heard the cab hit when it fell....& yeah the whole cab fell out at once but she couldn't find it. This is the ring now :

ring.jpg

There's not much of anything there to hold a stone - no "lip" or anything - the sides of the setting are straight up & down.....so no wonder it fell out. She was wearing this next one recently & one of the coral pieces came out, luckily she found that one. I can see the bezel here but don't have the ring with me to fully inspect.

IMG_4476.JPG

Guess I'm going shopping for a new ring. Thanks again 🙂

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

You might try listing the empty setting to help defer the cost of the new ring.  I have bought several empty settings and cut new stones to go in.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Good idea rix. I've a large collection of loose stones & may dig around there first. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply