cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turquoise or Faux....That is the question Opinions please!

IMG_E1500.JPGrDtzRusaSgOZURMvtxMO7w.jpguFUPn%zXTVWreILDkKDfZQ.jpgohESoxTuTh64xuBMozSHiw.jpgdH9X4B03TGSiGIcmAR4Dqw.jpg

Heavy and cold to the touch but the white part has me worried.  I do not see any white on the rounds   What are your opinions?   The clasp is not marked for silver content but looks like it could be silver or at least plated    TYIA 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Turquoise or Faux....That is the question Opinions please!

My vote is that this is an at home construction from craft store beads. The tension of the strands is too tight. I think this is dyed stone. The portion of the clasp that I can see looks like it could be from any craft store chain. Just my opinion interested to see what others think.  

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

To me, they look like dyed Magnesite.   Magnesite is white and looks very much like white turquoise.    It is often dyed.  When it has been dyed, it looks almost exactly like turquoise.   I think the white spots are an indicator of the fact that it has been dyed.   Here is a link to images of dyed Magnesite https://www.google.com/search?q=dyed+magnesite&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjy1MvQz8TY...

~~~~~

Carmella
Never argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Ty I was thinking howlite but I know little about this stuff
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

There's a way to tell but you arent gonna like it.  You can drill into one OR take one and smash it with a hammer.  Turquoise will be blue all the way through.  Dyed calcium will only be blue on the outside.  The drill option will leave you with a piece you can still use but being chalky and rather delicate, it may disintegrate.  I have has so many cabochons get to 99.99% finished only to crumble or split on the sanding belt or polishing wheel.  Sigh.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Take them to a jeweler.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

They look like craft show beads to me too, or craft store.  Dyed magnesite would be my first guess.  I wouldn't worry about these being real. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Some of these dyed beads will actually lose color if you rub acetone on them.  An acetone based nail polish remover might do the trick.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

As one who prices gemstone beads on a seemingly hourly basis, I think value is the answer to the question.  Were these real mined turquoise it would be worth a small fortune.  What they really are is impossible to know by looking.  They could be chalk turquoise or faux turquoise or magnesite or howlite.  Probably the safest label for them is "some kind of faux turquoise".

What someone else pointed about about the tension on the strand is a good insight too.  People starting out have a tendency when they string beads to forget to leave room for movement, particularly with larger heavier beads so the necklace winds up not draping right.  And if it's strung on fish wire that answers the question inequitably.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

ty everyone for the help!! I certainly learned some new stuff

Message 10 of 10
latest reply