cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sterling Opal & Marcasite Parure Need ID & Origin Help Please Also Should I Polish?

I have this pretty sterling silver set with very flashy blue opal and marcasite, the fold over clasps are .925 marked, the construction seems unique to me and hopefully will help ID the maker, age and origin. Also, should I polish it or leave the patina? 

Thank you all in advance for the assistance.

Jeanne

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Sterling Opal & Marcasite Parure Need ID & Origin Help Please Also Should I Polish?

I sell tons of vintage jewelry and Ive found most of my buyers prefer that it come as found even if it is pitch black. I might do a light cleaning to get better photos but depending on the stone the cleaners may harm the stone or cause them to fall out if they are held in with certain types of solders or glues.  I vote no to cleaning.  NICE SET!

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: Sterling Opal & Marcasite Parure Need ID & Origin Help Please Also Should I Polish?

I find silver pieces sell much better for me when polished. Tarnish is not patina, it is damage. Patina is the warm glow old silver has when it's been lightly polished. I use a gentle foaming polish like Wright's Silver Cream, it foams with water and washes away with water. It won't get stuck in the many crevices in your pieces. JMHO Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Wow that is phenomenal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

the style looks very 1940-ish.

Could be polished but the carvings should remain tarnished for character.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Beautiful Set heart

I have a feeling though based on the clasp, the glued Marcasites and the synthetic appearance of the Opals that these are fairly recent (last 30ish years.)

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

It is stamped 925 and they didnt start doing that until the late 70s.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

The .925 hallmark has been used for well over 100 years, it was required to be on US sterling around 1906.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I second OCN's view that this is a more recent piece, based on the design and the synthetic opals.  While "925" may be found on some older American pieces, most jewelry I've seen pre-1970s is marked as "sterling."  The "925" mark -- particularly as used here on an added plaque -- rings last 40 years, at the oldest.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Thank you so much, I agree that it's probably the '70's, I was hoping someone may have ideas on maker and orign.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

The settings construction is very unusual. Nothing about it seems familar. My best guess is it could have been made in Oceania or maybe Thailand.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Tarnish isn't damage, but it can hide damage.  It's oxidation.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:

The settings construction is very unusual. Nothing about it seems familar. My best guess is it could have been made in Oceania or maybe Thailand.

I have (somewhere) a necklace with clear cz's with a similar basket construction on the back.  It's also sterling.  I was surprised that it was sterling because it looked very much like a "david's bridal" type necklace, but very well constructed.  At the time I thought it was probably made in Thailand.  I'll have to find that.... or the pictures of it.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply