cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southwestern Sterling Bracelet Yellow Stone Type & Artist Hallmark?

Hello again everyone!

I could use a little help with this lovely Southwestern USA Sterling bracelet I'm helping a friend do some legwork for.

First, I'm not sure what the stone is.  This is the first time I've seen a yellow stone like this used in Southwestern jewelry.  A quick search indicates that it could be yellow jasper or agate.  It has a matte, dull finish, and sort of reminds me of alabaster.  What do you think?

Lastly, is anyone familiar with the artist hallmark?  It looks to me to be in the shape of the I Dream of Jeannie glass lamp laying on it's side.  It's the best way I can describe the shape.  I did a picto search on the popular Southwestern hallmark web site with no luck.

Here's some pics.

Thanks in advance!

southwestern bracelet-01.jpgsouthwestern bracelet-02.jpgsouthwestern bracelet-03.jpgsouthwestern bracelet-04.jpgsouthwestern bracelet-05.jpgsouthwestern bracelet-06.jpg
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Southwestern Sterling Bracelet Yellow Stone Type & Artist Hallmark?

Are you positive the bracelet's motif is southwestern?

The first thought that came to mind for the yellow stone was egg yolk amber.

I'm totally guessing here.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The design doesn't look SW,the stone could be yellow aventurine or jasper or others.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Could be from the Middle East.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

It has to be a Southwestern motif.  You can't see in in the photo, but around the setting of the stone are typical Native American symbols of feathers and around the band are symbols of sun rays, sunrises and sunsets.  They are similar style symbols I've only seen in this type of jewelry.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@dadsfloridatreasure wrote:

It has to be a Southwestern motif.  You can't see in in the photo, but around the setting of the stone are typical Native American symbols of feathers and around the band are symbols of sun rays, sunrises and sunsets.  They are similar style symbols I've only seen in this type of jewelry.

Could those symbols be from far more south, like Mexico or even farther south into Central America? Like Mayan or Aztec?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Could it be spiny oyster?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

My first thought on the stone was dyed bone.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I'm with you - I'm (on my PC instead of phone for once, with a nice big monitor) seeing striations.

flotsamlogo
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I see straitions too.  My first thought was spiny oyster shell...which is quite commonly used in Native American jewelry.  I could see it being dyed bone as well.  But, I don't think that it is agate or another stone...I think that it is organic, but not amber.

It certainly looks Southwestern or Native made to me.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

It wasn't NA made unless they were a "factory" worker,the band was made on a patterened rolling mill.Someone did scratched the band and bottom of the bezel and acid tested it.The tarnish on the piece doesn't show the detail in the design and I wouldn't state that it is even southwest.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hello again everyone and thank you to everyone in this discussion!

I still believe it is Southwestern USA themed and regioned.  Whether it is truly Native American made is not so much my question, as I do understand there is jewely mass and factory made in the Southwestern theme.

For example, Carol Felley jewelry is definitely mass produced, but it is still considered Southwestern jewelry.  If there is no answer to the hallmark here, then I understand that is still up for debate.

For now, I guess the stone is still up for debate, as well.

I added some other photos here of the motifs used.  I ran these through Photoshop to enhance the brightness over the patina.  You can clearly see typical symbols used in Southwestern and Native American jewelry, and only symbols I see used in that region.  I have never seen these outside this area, including Mexico, whether they were all hand stamped, or machine rolled.

bracelet-01.jpgbracelet-02.jpgbracelet-03.jpgbracelet-04.jpg

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

The markings, indeed, appear Native American or at least Southwestern. It's the style that throws me off. I thought India or Middle Eastern, though the marks wouldn't fit with either. Never seen a cuff quite like this one.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Polish that puppy, it will look much better Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 14
latest reply