cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smeared smudged prongs in vintage pin

Thank you all so much for the great info on the bracelet. I am relaxed about it now. I thought I'd start a new thread to show those smeared/smudged prongs I was talking about. These stones are nearly flush with the surface and a smear of the metal has been scooped and swiped across the stone to serve as a Prong. IS there a name for this?

VideoCapture_20221030-202001.jpg

VideoCapture_20221030-202007.jpg

VideoCapture_20221030-202013.jpg

VideoCapture_20221030-202017.jpg

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Smeared smudged prongs in vintage pin

You`ve probably already seen this site..but there`s a lot of beautiful styles shown..I just can`t tell if any are like yours are not  (tired eyes tonite) 

For info only

https://www.antiquejewellerycompany.com/a-guide-to-art-deco-jewellery/

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Looks like chisel cuts. Not sure if there is a specific name for the method.

Can we see the entire piece?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Gladly!

VideoCapture_20221030-214744.jpg

VideoCapture_20221030-214751.jpg

VideoCapture_20221030-214757.jpg

eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thank you! What a great site! Memory unlocked of wearing long necklaces down the back as kids when we were playing dressup! 😀 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the pics!  I can see more clearly what you mean, but I don't know if there's a specific name for that type of setting.  You did a great job of describing it!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for sharing. We love to see people's jewels 💙

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I have plenty to share. I really should pop in more and show my thrift finds 🤔 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Well if you don't know then nobody does so it can remain mysterious 😀

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

This might help.  Stone Setting - Jewelry Making - Setting Stones (jewelrydesigns.com)

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

This is a type of bead setting that I have seen mostly on pot metal and marcasite pieces.  Actual bead setting of stones was time consuming and labor intensive.  This type of carving into the metal and then pushing it over the stone was a lot faster and didn't require as much workmanship.  It's almost an unfinished bead setting if you will.  See here, I think you will recognize what I'm talking about.

Bead Setting : 10 Steps - Instructables  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply