cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers BEWARE

On one of my selling ids in the last 2 week, I have had two separate 0 feedback "buyers" buy items.  They have immediately requested that I text them at numbers off eBay to "answer questions about the items they just bought".  Once I responded that I don't text anyone and that I would answer any questions they have through eBay, I didn't hear back from them and of course, they never paid for the item.  I do have my settings to not except bids from buyers with less than 5 feedbacks, but that doesn't seem to stop them from buying my items.

So just a heads up ... I have reported them both.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Sellers BEWARE

Thanks for the heads up, Sandy.  Gotta stay 1 step ahead of the cons, unfortunately

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

This is certainly the time for it. W and I have faced down two con attempts by phone this week. The first one nearly got past W but I heard what he was saying into the phone and intervened. I have the main Big River account here and the guy wanted us (me) to log on to help straighten out a "problem with an order for a $1000 TBV." I refused, told him and W that it was a scam. The guy protested, I disagreed, and he told me "then FU." 

Confirmation if there ever was any that a scam is afoot.

The second was call from "AT&T" trying to give us $200. W went for it before I walked into the room. He says he didn't give any information but I'm a little concerned.

All these phone scams have to say is that they're from a certain company and many many people assume the call is legit. W is particularly vulnerable because of his age and because he is of a time when one used to be able to trust people who say they're going to help with a problem.

I'd suggest that anyone reading this make sure their elderly friends and relatives are careful about such callers. The problem exists year-round, but it's especially bad during the holiday season. Companies aren't going to cold call you and hand over $200.The scammers make it sound plausible and it happens fast -- usually before the target can collect their wits and realize the call isn't legit.

Wishing everyone freedom from deceptive callers and scamming buyers!

A.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

FIL fell for a scam recently.  The scammers claimed to be from our local phone/cable company and said for $1 he would be entered in a raffle to win an iPad.  All they need was ALL of his personal information !!!  

I asked him….haven’t you been with that company for 40 years ?  Don’t they already have your information?  

Quickly canceled credit card and have been monitoring bank account ever since.  They have found a few NOT approved charges.  

I hate scammers and yes they are preying on the elderly. 

Mermaid 💔

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Over 10 years ago, my stepdad — who was in the early stages of dementia — was conned into giving his cc number to a cruise line scam.  Long story short, I insisted on having a call with the company ad the cc issuer, during which the recording of the phone call he’d had with them was played.  My stepdad (age 82 at the time), though he did agree to the offer, sounded confused and hesitant throughout the call.  At the end, I asked the cruise rep: “Do you really think that recording would stand up in court?”  He immediately cut the charge in half.  I expect that I could have fought more to get it fully refunded, but the time that would have taken didn’t seem like a good investment 😕

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Had a similar situation on a recent Craigslist ad for a chair we were selling. Two different text messages asking me to email them so they could ask additional info about the chair by their private email.  I told them I would only reply to texts.  They never responded.  Both messages within a couple of hours after listing the item.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

We have gotten a lot of scam calls. My aunt was swindled out of a few thousand $ because she thought that she was talking to her grandson. ( She was 93 at the time).

The best advice that I can give anybody is don't answer your phone unless you know the #. Also block numbers that are obviously scam calls.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I totally agree with you 

It is very sad either telemarketer or scammers 

You have to protect yourself  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply