cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on gold acid test- positive for 14k? Turned white on 18k acid on unmarked victorian era pin

Hi, I'm new to the group and now that I have found you I think I will stick around for a while! I know a decent amount on costume jewelry, but am always looking to learn more!

My question for today, I found a piece at an estate sale today. It is probably from the late 1800's early 1900's dated by the unique lever C clasp. I have had a pin like this before and I think they are made out of old buttons. I have tested it with 10k 14k and 18k acids, and they are kind of throwing me for a loop. (I believe I have rubbed hard enough to go through if there was any plating.) Test stone, on the right is 18k acid, middle 10k, right is 14kTest stone, on the right is 18k acid, middle 10k, right is 14kIMG_3142.JPGIMG_3141.JPGThe 10k doesn't do anything, 14k goes away a little, and here's the kicker the 18k turns white. I have used the 18k acid for silver and it looks the exact same. So, is this gold that has been mixed with silver? Does the 14k spot look like it is 14k gold? Anyone more experienced than me out there that can help me out?

I have included pics of the stone, and the pin front and back... if you want more pics, let me know!

Thank you so much in advance for any info you can give me!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Question on gold acid test- positive for 14k? Turned white on 18k acid on unmarked victorian era

Following as I was having the same issue testing the older pieces as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Re: Question on gold acid test- positive for 14k? Turned white on 18k acid on unmarked victorian era

Hi,

-That is not a C clasp. Pin clasps with a locking mechanisms are later than 1800s.

-You are correct; these are a pair of buttons, attached to a pin clasp, utilizing Soft Solder. So the pin and the buttons were attached later in time.

-Gold doesn't turn white under Acid Test. So, whatever this metal is; conclusively, it is not gold. But you need to be careful and tell us if you are testing the pin or the buttons. 

-One final test needs to be conducted. Find an inconspicuous spot on the buttons( in the back area) and etch it to a decent dept, then apply the 18K acid directly to the etched area. See what happens?! If the acid turns in any color, the item is not gold.

Good luck,

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

On the clasp, I found this that I was using to date the pin img005.jpg

It is the very similar as the clasp on the left in the center row that states ca. 1890-1920's. And it is an exact match to the one in fig 13 on this page. so right around the end of the 1800's to early 1900's i think would be a fairly accurate time period.

I am testing the buttons only. The pinback is plated at best.

If the item is not gold at all, why would it then pass the 10k acid test, and looks like it almost passes 14k acid test. If it was not gold at all, those acids should eat it away completely, which it is not doing. I tested my acids on non gold, and it ate right through. I also used a piece of known 14k for comparison that my 10k and 14k acids did not eat through, but the 18k acid did, it went black immediately on the piece of known 14k.

As far as testing directly on the piece with 18k acid, I guess I don't understand what the point would be. I am not wondering if it is 18k gold, just why it would turn white like silver does with 18k acid. I wouldn't risk permanently damaging a piece of jewelry this old with no benefit from it. I know I have etched hard enough on the stone to go through any plating, and like I said it seems to pass the 10k with flying colors, and almost passes the 14k.

Are there any other metals that would pass the 10k acid test that wouldn't be gold that they would have used in the early 1900's to make buttons?

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I'm believing your piece IS around 8-12 KT gold, but is heavily alloyed with zinc, not silver.  I don't think I've heard of silver being used for a gold alloy.  Copper, brass, and zinc, yes.  It is common that lesser gold carats have had zinc used as an alloy, so that is my guess.

Also, I'm wondering if it's possible your stone wasn't completely clean and had some silver residue on it?  Or maybe your 18 KT acid is going bad and beyond its expiration?  Just theories here.

Unless you have it tested by a local jeweler or coin shop that has the modern hand held X-Rays, anything is possible.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Ok, thank you. I tested the 18k acid on a known 14k piece on the same sort of dirty stone, I really should clean it, but it ate right through that one. I guess it will be a mystery. I didn't think they would really use silver in a gold alloy. I should also get some new acids, I have had this set for over a year. But they have seemed to work just fine for the most part. I rarely find much that needs to be tested anyways. I'm more of a costume jewelry picker than one that hunts for gold. That being said, I still sure do love to find it! Thanks for all the help!

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I tend to agree based on the test results that piece could be 12k or thereabouts. For the Black round my guess, if Pearl is real, is it is a slab of black branch Coral.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Oops ... 15k ...
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Acid tests are not 100% when it comes to testing a gold jewelry items authenticity. Sometimes, when you scratch the item on the glass surface, some of the plating or non-gold material underneath the plating comes off and gives a false reading.

They are good for basic testing and approximation of karat/purity of a piece, but if you want a serious and accurate test we suggest you go to your local jewelry store and have them use an X-Ray or Gel-Induction test. Both are far more accurate and provide better results than a piece of glass and some nitric acid!

We were in the process of writing a detailed eBay article on how to spot fake gold from real and the various tests you can conduct, but eBay didn't save the article and it all got removed 😞

Best of luck and if you have any questions, private message us!

If you want to see (or possibly buy) gold jewelry that has been X-Ray tested for its purity check out this eBay store!

http://stores.ebay.com/bellafinajewelry/
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Yeah, I think the pearls are real. They pass the tooth test and are shaped imperfectly. They are very small. I was thinking the black was onyx. 

I think when I list the pin, I might just say it is somewhere between 9-12 carat gold, unmarked but tested. I may not even end up listing it, as its just a really cool piece.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Thank you,

-This is clearly not a hand made clasp. You know the difference between a hand made clasp and machine made clasp when you see one.  And You skipped an important figure from your source. I attach a picture for all of us to know the history of clasps. C clasp is the name of a clasp which doesn't have a lock but it has a 'C' catch. A simple piece of wire in shape of a 'C'.

If you want to keep calling your mechanized clasps made in 1800s, specially when you say it is not gold and 'plated at best',  you can do so, but it is not correct. Jewelry history can not separate itself from industrial revolution. 

-Silver is very common alloy in jewelry making. All goldsmiths use silver as alloy everyday.

- The reason that I suggested the "  Notching  " technique is to see if the item is rolled gold or gold plated. We want to go deeper underneath the surface. If a sample is turning white under 18K acid, most possibly, the item is not gold.  

Anyway, don't mind me, you are doing fine by yourself slight_smile

clasp_1.jpg

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I'm interested in this question as well.  I've come across three or four pieces of Victorian jewelry that have tested this way over the past 15 years or so, testing normally with the lower acids and then this way with the 18k.

Now I am going to relate something a bit off topic but connected to using the 18k for testing: Recently someone showed me a Brutalist piece of jewelry that she said was testing as sterling using the 18k acid and scratch stone method.

I was very surprised because it was a regular looking piece of Guy Vidal jewelry (Canadian maker) and it was signed in the usual manner and not marked sterling. 

I decided to test my pieces of Guy Vidal jewelry .... and each one tested positive using the 18k method. Believe  me, not a single one is sterling, so I am thinking it is something about the alloy in those pieces, much like this one, that is reacting with the 18k to cause this. 

I think old gold pieces probably had all sorts of different materials that were alloyed, and some could result in this sort of reaction, that is my hypothesis for what it is worth. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

So when did premade pinbars - available to consumers as opposed to the trade - come in?  The 50s (I remember them from Brownie craft projects) or earlier? That would be a starting date for the piece-as-a-brooch; dating the buttons themselves would be a separate issue. You might look for similar buttons on button-collector sites. If you're going to sell, list it as an upcycled piece made from vintage buttons.

flotsamlogo
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Hi Arlene,

You say, you came across few occasions in which your 18K Acid reacted by turning milky white!? Correct? So, what was the gold content on those four items?

The item above doesn't show 14k.

On the other topic; Acid Scratch Test  is valid only for gold content and not for any other metal. Silver is considered of other metals.

I see lots of Guy Vidal jewelry in Pewter.  Is yours gold?  Some Pewter alloys turn milky white once tested with 18K acid.  

,Kia

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Nobelantique, you are correct. I was off by about a decade. This is the fig 13 that I was using to date the clasp since it matches that perfectly. I apologize. Fig. 13 Lever safety, ca. 1900Fig. 13 Lever safety, ca. 1900

I was more calling it a c clasp because I have never seen one like this before, it is not your typical rollover clasp that is usually seen on brooches. 

I really didn't realize that goldsmiths do use silver as an alloy when making gold pieces. To me that would explain the milky white color the 18k acid is giving on this piece. I just tested the 18k acid on a piece of silver and it did the same thing, turned milky white. So I feel confident that the top of the piece, the buttons, is at least 9-10 carat gold, and the alloy material, possibly silver, is what is turning the 18k acid white.

I was saying only the pinback is plated, not the front. I know I have gone deep enough to go through any plating. I feel it does less damage to the piece if I use the glass to rub off a corner of the piece than to make a notch, and I can see that I have gone fairly deep on the corner edge of the button. Thank you for all your wonderful help!!

Message 15 of 18
latest reply