cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About TACK PINS and Mediallions

Hello -- Our company purchases estate jewelry.  As a result, we often find vintage "metal tack pins" included in these lots.  We've noticed that some of the pins are discolored in the area where their "screw backs" have been attached.  While the rest of the pin or medallion may be in good condition, this area is sometimes discolored.  My question is this.  Does this discoloration affect the value of the pin?  Because of their condition, we typically do not list them on eBay.  We would appreciate and thank you for any information you could share with us on this.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Question About TACK PINS and Mediallions

got photos of an example??

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I would say that it does not affect anything.  If I am not mistaken, alot of times those pin parts are stainless or a different metal, that is sturdier.  So when they are attached, the solder can discolor because of the mismatch in attached metals, this is quite common, and will not ruin a sale, especially if the pin subject is collectable.

I have sold many military items with this issue, no problems.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. Just now reading it. This will help us a lot in determining what to list on eBay. Thanks again and have a nice evening.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply