cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo Help

I have this Kramer necklace that no matter how I try and photo it, I cannot for the life of me get it to come out right.  Inside-outside-diffused-lights-no lights, etc.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

IMG_3615.JPG

This is outside-no flash-and it has been the best I can do.  I have backed up and still can't get it to not reflect back.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Photo Help

Robin, these types of pieces, clear rhinestones in silvertone metal can be a real pain sometimes.  Try backing away from the piece and then cropping it to get your detail rather than using the macro setting.  See if that helps.  And no direct light on the piece.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I just listed a necklace that my pictures againest the black display didn't turn out great but I have a royal blue background that I put my jewelry on and turns out nice. I also take my pictures outside in the shade and not in direct sunlight.  I think trying different background colors may help.   

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Yes - I always have trouble with light scatter on black backgrounds. Dark blue or charcoal gray work much better. Also, check your camera settings - you might need a smaller aperture or a faster shutter speed. You can also use a "gobo" - something like a piece of paper or a sheet of craft foam - to block some of the light from falling on your piece.

If you have an image editor program you can help that picture by setting the "highlight" on your highlight/ midtone/ shadow control to a negative number. That will tone down the glare a bit.

flotsamlogo
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I have also had photo's I could not capture the beauty of.. however all the info you are receiving are good, and I will try them my self..

It looks like a very nice necklace.. kramer sells well. Good luck, I will continue to watch this thread..

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Black backgrounds give me fits! The camera picks an exposure based on the background and then the jewelry is washed out. I agree, try other colors.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I agree! Black is so impossible for me..I have stopped buying any solid black clothing items.  Red is another color I have prob with..can`t get a true red..always has to show up with pink lol 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Ok, will try a different color (I have material pieces I have kept for these types of things) and since it is overcast today, maybe that will help.  This isn't the only one I have issues with, but has been the one that has given me the most headaches.

Will let you know how it works out.

Thanks

Photobucket
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

testing

"I'm in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here!"

“You don't have to be crazy to hang out with me, I'll train you.”
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Ok, thanks for the suggestions.  The color change made a difference.  Didn't have navy, but did have a silky silver grey that reflected the light some and I think made the difference.  It did the same for the other 2 pieces as well. 

This Kramer I believe has a rhodium finish because when I got it, there were only a few pearls left and no stones, but the plating is still beautiful, but really shiny which didn't help me.

Still working on it some - but your help has worked out

Thanks again

Photobucket
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Sorry, didn't mean for that to be so big, it would only upload as an attachmentSmiley Surprised

Photobucket
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I have had some success using LED fill lights to bring out the sparkle.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply