cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions Please

I have been doing some research and looking through jewelry and collectable knick knacks listed here on eBay.  What I am finding is there are lots, and I do mean LOTS of items where the description of the item is simple … see pictures.?  Now they might have the measurements listed in seller's comments or they might not.  These sellers have 3000 + feedback and when I check their sold items they all are see picture for the description.

I rack my brain to give a detailed description of a piece.  But if all it takes is a simple see picture to sell an item, I have to ask myself why am I wasting my time.

So I am asking you all here, what are your opinions on simply taking good photos and maybe giving a measurement or two on a piece.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Opinions Please

I think the best sellers have found the middle ground by not being too wordy and just sticking to the facts.  They anticipate what buyers want to know and include that in the description. 

Another huge turn off for me is sellers using intimidating language like, "You MUST pay within 3 days.  If payment is not received within 3 days, your bid WILL BE CANCELLED and you WILL be added to my BLOCKED BIDDER LIST!  I would never buy from a seller who uses threatening verbage, yet I see many sellers in the high 1000's do just that.  It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Lastly, please don't include your description somewhere in the middle of your 3 mile long list of conditions because I won't read that far.  Description first, then add all your gobbly  g o o k!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Thanks! Just what I was thinking.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Sarah,  a novelist , too funny.  I love those recipes that have the jump/ skip to recipe button and I ALWAYS use them.  

Dream,  IKR ?   I always imagine someone speaking like that to me if I physically walked into their store.  I would just turn around and walk out.  So I do that online too ! 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Same here, rather safe than sorry without bird in hand & money down the drain...
Kimberly M Burt
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Unfortunately, the only place I'm wordy is Board posts -- haha. Cat chronically has my tongue when I'm trying to write item descriptions. I generally stick to as many good photos as I can provide, coupled with explicit measurements and any aspect that requires a heads-up.

When I find something I might be interested in that has only one photo or no measurements, I *might* ask the seller, but I'm on guard. When it's all those things and the photo is blurry I click 'back.' In those cases I absolutely will not buy if the seller has the lack of info along with a no-return policy.

I think there are plenty of people out there who get a kick out of gambling on whether the item is a treasure in the rough. Reminds me of people flocking to "unsearched" lots. Way-back-when I received some very pleasant surprises, but those days are pretty much gone. I'm not really interested in gambling.

A.

A.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

So I just listed 10 items using the minimal approach with lots of pictures.  So I will let you all know if anything happens.  I can tell you it sure took less time and it was less stressful than trying come up with the perfect description.  I included good detailed pictures and detailed item specifics.  So all the information is there. 

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Very interesting Sandy ,  

I like this experiment of yours.  Yaaassssss I found it so much easier to list when I condensed my descriptions.  

PS ....I have always loved those Lee Sands Lions !

Mermaid 🦁

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Thank you, me too. 

So give me your honest opinion on the format I used.  Really between the title, the item specifics, the pictures, and the brand, condition and measurements listed I really can't think of anything that is missing, can you?

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Yes I think you are good.   My first thought was how long is the necklace,   but I see that in the description.  I think you are covered.   I am surprised at how few item specs there are,  but that is probably just because we have way too many on clothing.  

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

I use a third party listing program.  There are quite a few item specifics, that they have, but depending on the piece, they don't all apply.  For example on the lion set, there is no metal to mention really.  I use all the ones that do apply and have even added a few of my own such as item, design, color, and holiday.  I double checked and seem to have hit all the ones that eBay "requires.  Thanks for the feedback.  

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

1. I like to give people a chance to screw up before warning them about what will happen if they do.

2. I would NEVER block someone for asking questions - why limit your market? Arent we all trying to get AS MANY BUYERS AS POSSIBLE?

3. I don't hound people to pay super quick - they may be waiting for OTHER listings to close and want to pay all at once.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

I just wanted to give you all an update on the new listing style I am trying.  I now have 10 of the mini versions of listing out there under two of my ids.

1.  So far, I don't see any difference in the number of hit these listings are getting.  About the same as the others I have listed.

2.  I haven't received any questions about the listings, so I am assuming that all the information provided is answering all the questions a buyer would have.

3.  It is by far a much faster listing process for me.  And much less stressful trying to come up with the "perfect" description.  

As for sales … these are in auction formats and they haven't closed yet.  I will let you know.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply