cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not that I'm complaining, but ????

All of a sudden, just this weekend things have been flying off the shelves.  Flying for me at least.  Normally it all but shuts down in July and August and right now all sorts of odds and ends have been moving.  Things that have been sitting for months,  all of a sudden...zap.    

One of the odder ones sold early this week  - a fantasy belt buckle that went to Germany.  The buyer already has it, so it must have sailed right through Customs.  What a German wanted with a Rough Riders (Teddy Roosevelt, Spanish American War) commemorative piece I haven't a clue.  

Is this happening to anyone else?  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

That brooch is a beauty, dins. I'm glad it sold well.

About the searches - I was in hiatus heaven for 4 months so I can't speak for that period, but since I started selling again in June, I've noticed a change that makes me wonder if I'm getting more views than before the break. I put up 12 listings. Eight have sold. That's not many, but had I sold two-thirds while actively selling, it would have been an enormous difference. Maybe it just feels like an increase after such a long break and there are other considerations that may have a bearing on results - being away for so long is just one. Having just a few auctions up is another, all were "new" listings except for one, and I lowered starting prices on most items, a couple even down to 99c. I think 99c auctions were a mistake - very disappointing and I don't think they brought more views to my other auctions that did better than expected. Maybe ebay is trying something new during the slow months when no one's around. I'm not complaining either. Just wish I could list faster. LOL.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

The last couple weeks have been very good in comparison to the last couple years.  It used to be when I sold mulitiple items in the space of 48 hours they came from the same geographical area.  That was the old "throttling" behavior that was so evident for me on ebay;  I was suddenly becoming visible on specific ebay servers then eveyrthing would go silent for weeks.  That's not what is happening now.  I sold two items over the weekend and just sold another this morning.  They all sold to different parts of the country.  That's phenomenial for me compared to what the prior 12 months was like where there'd be one or maybe two sales a month.  I have had a very good month.  I'm not making a fortune but it is a big improvement.  Shhhhhh, no one tell ebay.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

I sold three more in a totally random mix in the last 48 hours.  None were going anywhere close to each other and one went to Denmark.  It had a Danish plastic pin in it and the buyer paid more in shipping than she did for the merch.  

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

It's a double edge sword.  I had someone message asking for the measurements of a piece;  measurements that were in the description.  Now they've made an offer for two thirds of the asking price, and her feedback left for others is full of red.  Sigh . . . .

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

*BLOCK*BLOCK*BLOCK*  Don't even give her a chance to buy. Buyers like that you don't need!

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Thank you.   The last couple weeks at "that job" have sapped most of my strength, intelligence and will to live.  I'm taking your advice rather than argue with myself in what would be a losing battle.  For future reference "She ^ told me to do it." wink

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

At least she outed herself before buying.  Buyers like that nobody needs.  

In her partial defense, she may be on a phone.  If you don't hit See Description or Full Details you can't read the description including measurements.  And if you don't know where the button is or can't see it the description might as well not be there.  It's the buyer's responsibility to click the button, but on my tablet it's a royal pain.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

And another crazy person popped up.  She sent me three emails in a row today.  She wants to pay for the earrings August 4th, can I wait until then.  Then it was "DID YOU GET MY MESSAGE?"  Then the third message was offering me less for them NOW.  They're already marked down from their original price in hopes I could offload them.

So the question of the day is:  If I don't respond to any of her THREE messages and just block her will ebay ding me?

And her feedback is full of gray donuts too.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Not to my knowlege - there's no penalty for preventing dings from dingbats.   

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@oncoyotemountainart wrote:

The last couple weeks have been very good in comparison to the last couple years.  It used to be when I sold mulitiple items in the space of 48 hours they came from the same geographical area.  That was the old "throttling" behavior that was so evident for me on ebay;  I was suddenly becoming visible on specific ebay servers then eveyrthing would go silent for weeks.  That's not what is happening now.  I sold two items over the weekend and just sold another this morning.  They all sold to different parts of the country.  That's phenomenial for me compared to what the prior 12 months was like where there'd be one or maybe two sales a month.  I have had a very good month.  I'm not making a fortune but it is a big improvement.  Shhhhhh, no one tell ebay.

For the past few years my experience has been similar to OCMA's. Then I took a 4 month break. Since June 30th when I resumed selling, I haven't noticed a difference in the pattern of buyers being from the same area of the country. That's been pretty much the same, but after looking at traffic over the past 3 weeks, rather than an improvement in eBay searches, I'm seeing the opposite. 

I would like to explain why I say this, but it would be too long for this thread, and not really on topic, so I'm starting a new thread about it today.  

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

What am I not getting? Are the links messed up? Link provided is an electronics item. It's been up since 2005, and no revisions to the listing all that time? And, you have more than one as I see you have another one listed now. I allows applaud a sale in any case. It's pretty dead for me.
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

I dont jump through hoops any more.  Too often you "hold it" for them but they dont actually get around to buying or will only buy if you give it to them for half price.  The item is there - buy it or dont.  I hope you get to it before someone else does.

I did actually have ONE time where a buyer was "Can you hold this for me until the end of the month (this was like the 10th)." No sorry, someone else is also interested.  Sold IMMEDIATELY with IPR.

And yes I also get the crazy people who ask 40 questions on a $2.99 item demanding guarantees and promises (Do you SWEAR this cell phone is in the original box and has all the booklets and no scratches? - uh NO, just the phone and charger with minor scratches LIKE IT SAYS IN THE LISTING.) but I find the crazies dont usually buy.  Maybe my lack of question answering (or limiting to two questions a day) scares them off.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply