cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miriam Haskell Has Anyone Figured Out

how to clean the corrsion off between the pearls without damaging the pearls?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down.
Wilson Mizner
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Miriam Haskell Has Anyone Figured Out

whoops forgot to post pics

MH.jpgMH1.jpg

Wilson Mizner
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

First off, what a great necklace!  Classic Haskell.  Love her style.

Unfortunately, looks like very heavy verdigris on the metal separating the pearls.  Looks like it is on one strand, but not the other.  I wonder if the outer strand had a different style of metal spacer bead that had finish that didn't hold up?

Wow, wonder if anyone here is going to have suggestions.  When there is just a little bit of verdigris, sometimes ketsup works to wipe away, but this looks from the photos to be way too intense of a problem.  You can see if it wipes off easily -then you might be able to tackle it, but if it is really on there, not sure how you would get between the pearls without breaking the strand, etc.  Also, once the verdigris is off, guessing that the spacer beads may look a bit worse for the wear.

This would be a project, but you might consider restringing that one strand with different metal spacers, but finding the right spacers would be a challenge, and then that would need to be disclosed if selling.  Or just disclose the damage and let someone else mess with it.

Hold on for other responses, though.  Maybe there is a trick I don't know about.

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Agree w/ everything Lucille wrote - no matter which verdigris removal technique you choose, it will be near impossible to avoid damaging the pearls (or the string). If the 2nd strand isn't affected, I would restring only the damaged strand & try to find matching spacers in my bead/broken necklace stash. If the 2nd strand is affected I would restring both. A chore no doubt but less tedious than trying to get to those tiny spacers without further damage.

Another thought is to hunt down a matching single strand MH necklace & switch them out, but this may take more time & effort than restringing.

Good luck; it's a beautiful piece.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I can`t see being able to clean the greenies on that outer strand (looks like both sides?) without going insane. Cat Frustrated

I`d either sell it as is..or totally restring it... both strands.

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I may be off base here BUT what about coating the pearls (polish or some form of clear paint) with something so that the ketchup/vinegar or whatever you clean the nasties with doesn't effect the pearl coating? Just a WAG

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I don't know, then how do you remove the coating without damaging the pearls? Leaving the coating on may damage the finish also, in fact, putting polish on the pearls in the first place may damage the finish open_mouth

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I too would sell as is.  There are Haskell collectors that will restore the piece.  Put your happy price on it and let it go.

The only other thing you might try on one spacer bead would be a little vinager on the tip of a wooden tooth pick, but that is a job I wouldn't wish on anybody.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I figured it was too far gone. would be happy to sell as is because I don't want to mess with it. The pearls all seem to be in nice condition.

thanks all

Wilson Mizner
Message 9 of 9
latest reply