cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jewelry Sales Slow?

Hello Everyone!

We are new to the eBay Community, however we are veteran sellers (10+ years in the business). 

What sort of jewelry do you guys and gals sell? Fashion or Fine?

We specialize in fine jewelry, mainly gold but some silver too. 

Due to the recent Spring 2018 Patch, our sales have been down about 40-50%. 

We use a website called Terapeak for eBay Keywords in the title, as well as Crazylister for templates. 

Visually, our listings look great. They are mobile optimized and they have the right words, however, the sales have been lacking. 

Do you think it is a seasonal thing or something we aren't doing right?

I'd like to bounce around some ideas, and maybe gain some knowledge on selling online 🙂

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Jewelry Sales Slow?

I haven't done anything different and my March sales were outstanding for March.  I attributed it to the bad weather on the East coast.  People were stuck inside and went shopping.  

I sell vintage jewelry for the most part. 

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I saw some very nice stuff.  I sell mainly vintage sterling and some sterling items I have repaired myself (I take metal working classes and belong to a lapidary club).  I dont know that many buyers would spend big dollars online so your market may be rather limited.  Many folks are looking for bargains.  Worse, as a seller I wouldnt RISK an item worth that much.  Really know the Ebay/Paypal rules and always have a double and triple verification process for payments and delivery on big ticket items.

As long as you are able to wait for a big dollar buyer to come and can sit eventually you may find a buyer but you may not be able to count on regular consistent sales.  But smart of you to supplement the B&M store with online venues!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I haven't done anything different myself, matter of fact I've be ill with the flu & a few other ailments and my site is so depleted if I don't put new items on tomorrow eBay may axe me lol..... You've got a wonderful site with many items to choose from, a very nice format & great photos, I did notice however I didn't see many auctions? I usually have many more listings than I do at the moment, however I do mix up many different items since I'm a compulsive buyer of many items of all sorts, but it seems to grab people of all sorts looking at other things if they didn't find what they originally were looking for. I also offer .99 cent listings on many things, gold, silver & costume jewelry and they often move quickly getting up to a hefty price most times. Your a seasoned seller you know the value of your inventory and have a lot of it don't be afraid to lose a little at a lesser price if choosing a low starting priced auction you'll make up for it with the ones that do move along with the new viewers coming your way looking at the other items listed on your site. I'm not sure since honestly I didn't look far enough into your site to see if you offer promotions & sales I find that an awesome way to get traffic and sales when things get stagnant. Best of Luck to you!
Kimberly M Burt
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I sell mostly vintage stuff, a mix of costume and sterling with the occasional gold item if I find it going begging.  Sales can be ... interesting on Ebay.  I find things go in streaks; you'll hit a patch where you can't keep stuff on the shelves and then a trough when nothing moves.   There are a lot of bargain hunters on Ebay, so fine jewelry at fine jewelry prices tends to sit.  And sit. And sit.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I call it the Sales Fairy. When the Sales Fairy points her wand at you, your stuff flies out the door. When she doesn't, it sits. Promoting your items on Facebook and Pinterest does help - I get views that result in sales from both sites - but it's still the Sales Fairy.

Agree that better pieces don't do well on eBay - and it's not only fine jewelry; I've had much better luck selling my higher end costume pieces as an independent than I ever had here.

Don't know why the March pickup; my March sales were good but only one was East Coast.

flotsamlogo
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

We only dabble in jewelry sales.

One of us works at a pawn shop, the other has long collected vintage jewelry & some other favorites, ok, I like jewelry and have a bunch. So we have a basic working knowledge.

We have found jewelry sales slow and difficult.

Never even try to sell high priced things.

Dont know if you are selling preowned, but, strangely, we have found many people do not like to buy used. Bad mojo or something. They would rathar pay 4X the amount at a shiny store.

It has been our highest return, claims of damage  and packaging problem. (Strange)

Often, selling off things I have decided to part with, the price we get, after months, is not much more than scrap after fees & such. 

However, as a buyer, prices are so low, just amazing stuff to buy!!!

Im constantly telling people about it. 

Doesnt help much as a seller.

Best of luck!! 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply