cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is It Silver?

How can I tell if it's silver? It's not magnetic, it left black marks on a silver polishing cloth. It's heavy,  substantial. Thanks. 🙂 image2 (7).jpegimage0 (19).jpegimage1 (13).jpeg

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Is It Silver?

Anonymous
Not applicable

silver acid test kit

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It doesn't damage the silver?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Look up inside the bale.  Sometimes the stamp is there.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

You try the ice test?

Silver has a high thermal conductivity, much higher than most metals (which means it transfers heat much faster than most metals)

Take it (at room temp) and press it against an ice cube, it should nearly cut through the ice like butter.

Take a stainless steel utensil, press that against the ice cube as a control test.

If it's silver, it literally melts so much faster it should kinda blow you away.

Also silver test kit is a good option... but ice test works amazing (and is something everyone can do with stuff laying around the house... not 100% definitive but....extremely simple result and test, and very indicative)

#Science❤

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Dreampeddler is right, sometimes the mark is so small inside bale it gets missed.  You could also file the edge of the opening on backside, if it is silverplate, usually this India stuff is plated on copper, so it will be easy to see the copper when you file.  silverplate also leaves marks on cloth.

It could have been marked on back, and if it was lovingly worn alot, could have worn off.

when silver prices started rising years ago, these types of items started being made in heavy silverplate. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If you have a good sniffer (nose) and it is a plated piece you might smell copper if you rub the metal vigorously and smell the surface. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll try them all and then be more prepared for next time. 🙂

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Take it to a jeweler in your area or a pawn shop either will be able to identify and confirm if sterling silver.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

thanks for that information.  I will try it!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

looks silver, stone looks to be labradorite.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I was looking at the photos and thought the very same thing!  Let us know if you find it.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I never knew that. I'm going to try it! Thanks!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply