cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying red stone in turquoise heishi bead necklace

I would greatly appreciate any help in determining the name of the red stone as well as knowing the origin of this necklace. What category to list under? The clasp is missing which is why is is curled up the way it is. Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Identifying red stone in turquoise heishi bead necklace

May be some type of dyed coral. Please wait for others to weigh in.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Jasper?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

It doesn't exactly look right for dyed coral.  It could be dyed Riverstone.  It does look like dyed stone because of the uneveness of the color.  When I'm in doubt I usually go to the Fire Mountain Gems website, click on gemstone beads and then choose the color and search through what they have, LOL.  They don't have everything, but they have the most popular stones.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The solid lines running though porous material is similar to Apple Coral but not exactly.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I tried looking at fire mountain gems. in this particular case. This is why I don't like listing gemstone jewelry because some of it takes me forever to figure out what the stones are. I have learned a lot over a couple of years I have been listing, but it appears that it some cases unless someone can actually see & touch it perhaps there is not going to be a definitive answer. I do appreciate everyones feedback. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

My original thought was that it was red jasper...

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I am definitely seeing porous areas which indicates a once living something not a geological specimen.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

This is what I am seeing that looks porous.

IMG_20170519_084630.JPG

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

You have much better eyes than I do old crow.  That enlargement looks like modern dyed coral.  I have lots of that in blue so I recognize the pattern.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you so much. Dyed red coral is what I will say it is in my listing. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply