cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a new database for Windows 8. Any suggestions?

My old laptop was a windows XP operating system and now I have a Windows 8 system on my new PC. I havent been active with my jewelry collection but went to "Gold Rush" in Rochester MN last week and broke the bank!! Went to list my new babies but the old laptop running DataVillage is not working. I think I need a new database. OMG - I have to start all over again.  Can anyone recommend an easy to use Database. What is everyone else using???

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: I need a new database for Windows 8. Any suggestions?

MS Access! Not sure what you can get as a stand-alone any more, with Microsoft being so evil about their "service based" stuff. But I was able to get a recent version (on disc even, though I was prepared to get a download) from a third party vendor. I'll dig out the name for you when I'm back on my PC.

flotsamlogo
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Open Office is a free download & very similar to Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, etc......

I don't have anything in a database & am jealous how organized you all are! 🙂

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I use LibreOffice (very similar to OpenOffice and also free) for word processing and spreadsheet, but their database is geeks-only, very user-unfriendly compared to Access. (For instance, I could never figure out how to get LibreOffice Base to display my thumbnail pictures, and what little "help" I could find was all in geek-speak. Plus none of my forms or queries would import - had to do too much over again from scratch.)

The outfit I bought my Access from is called Royal Discount Software. They're very reliable - my Access (from Office 15 so it should work on your Win8) passed verification and everything. Whatever you do, do NOT buy any Microsoft software on eBay - it's too iffy whether or not it's fake. (Our purchases: one genuine copy of Office several years ago, and two fake Windows.)

flotsamlogo
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi bluedaemon, how extensive is your inventory information you input into your database?  ie. item, name, desc, cost.......?

"I'm in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here!"

“You don't have to be crazy to hang out with me, I'll train you.”
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

When I "check in" an item I put date purchased and cost, category (we do sell stuff other than jewelry), and whether we got it at a yard sale, estate sale, thrift shop, or somewhere else. When I designed the database I was going to track where we got the best stuff. Then when I take the pictures I put in a link to a thumbnail. There's a Disposition field for whether it was sold at auction, in the store, in my RL shop, etc. There's also a notes field where I put research and pricing information or clean-and-repair notes.

Then when I list the item I just plug in the item number, and the listing form fills in the title and picture. I add date listed, eBay number, price, auction or fixed price, and listing fee. When it ends I put in date ended, ending price if it sold, and disposition (sold auction, sold store, relisted, moved to other venue, etc.)

flotsamlogo
Message 6 of 6
latest reply