cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm needy today - need help on stones

Another find in this auction estate lot I just bought.  I really think this is hand made but wondering if anyone can take a guess on the stones. First of all are they stones or maybe just glass.  The metal tubes are very worn and seem to be brass.  Strung on plastic string/cord.  I think it will clean up nice.  Just need help on age and style.  Again thanks for all the help in advance.complete necklacecomplete necklace

close up of stonesclose up of stones

claspclasp

more stonesmore stones

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I see amethyst, carnelian, and aventurine chips, not sure about the white one

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The white ones might be polished quartz.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

That's what I'm thinking. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

It looks like an artisan made, tribal style necklace of unknown origin, to me. It has an ethnographic look but not the details of design linked to any specific group, tribe, or region. It could have been assembled anywhere. Similar omponents have been commercially available for decades. 

When I consider age, metal wear seems to be the best clue. I'm reminded of the tumbled stone jewelry popular during hippie days. This necklace may be from the same period. I would guess, circa 1970 (assembled by the 1960s to 1980s).

The stones look like natural tumbled gemstones to me also. From the close-up photos I'd guess they are amethyst, carnelian or red agate, aventurine, and possibly white agate.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Really  big help on this.  Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@cleio wrote:

I see amethyst, carnelian, and aventurine chips, not sure about the white one

The white could be white jade or just quartz.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply