cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Could Use Some Guidance Here

I purchased this pendant/carving from a large collection of fabulous Victorian jewelry.  I just assumed it was a mother of pearl pendant.  Until I realized that the "knob" at the center is an actual pearl and that the boat was carved from, I assume, an oyster shell around the pearl.  Has anybody run across this before? Can you direct me to any info?  Thanking you in advance!  MOP-ship-pendant.jpgMOP-ship-pendant3.jpg

I set out to change the world. Then I saw something shiny
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

There is a similar one on the other E site if you look up MOP clipper ship Maybe it is MOP with a pearl set in there
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Looking straight on it looks like it could be a Mabe Pearl. At the side does the pearl look like it is part of the MOP? like it is encased?
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Here is an Article that explains Mabe /Blister Pearls:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-are-Mabe-Pearls-/10000000017338726/g.html
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

What an interesting piece.

Well, that's another bit of jewelry history I learned here on this wonderful board.

You joolies are soooooooooooo cool!Smiley Happy

TEX
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I agree with what Tex just said Smiley Happy!  I've never seen anything like that before.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Thanks, Mabe pearl was what I was looking for.  I thought all Mabe pearls were irregular shape, but I see I was wrong.  Which I often am!  I think the pearl was set in, but I'm still not totally sure.  The shell in the back is definitely thincker exactly in back of the pearl.

I also never thought of the keywords "clipper ship".  LOL!

Thanks everyone for the directional help.

Sherry

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

dawnjewels, I don't know if this help but here is a picture of the shell that your brooch would have been carved from. They were often done for souvenirs, especially from Australia's pearl coast . The indonesians do them as well. But the sailing ship well I think probably more like Aussie. I use this one as a soap dishsoapdish.jpg

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Are you going to list it?  I just love it and collect ships.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I think it is beautiful, I think it might be set into the MOP, and be a whole Pearl.. does it look like any glue or residue around it?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I agree with rain...looks from the pic like a blister peal that was cut away from its original she'll then glued into the ship design. I say this because several areas of the ship near the pearl appear to be in relief that is as deep/deeper than the pearl. (Hope that makes sense!)
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Which is why I asked if the pearl looked encased.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for all the responses.  Yes, I am going to list this.  However, I no longer sell jewelry on eBay.

I never mentioned the size - it's 2-1/2" high, the pearl is about 5mm.  I'm pretty sure the pearl is set in, can't tell if it's a whole pearl or not.  I see something shiny around the pearl that may be glue and the shade of the pearl is slightly different from that of the shell. It has more pink in it. I would think they'd be the same color if the pearl was carved around.  It's a substantial piece of MOP - 1/16" deep at the edges.  The shell is thicker on the back where the pearl is inset.  It's also especially deep at the prow of the ship - deeper than 1/16".

I don't know if this could be Australian or not.  I suppose the idea of a clipper ship might support that.  Would that then make the pearl a South Sea pearl?

The other interesting feature is the fact that you can feel the grittiness of the pearl.  Like the tooth test where you can feel it, I can feel it if I rub my thumb over it. 

Life would be so much easier if all jewelry came with full descriptions written on the back!

Sherry

Message 13 of 13
latest reply