cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell when it's aventurine or gold foil inside sommerso glass beads?

I have several sommerso necklaces with 'gold' inside, some look spun, some are swirls, and some is like confetti. I don't know if it is aventurine or gold foil or gold leaf. I watched a video of Murano artisans making these and they picked up gold foil on the mandrils, and said most people refer to it incorrectly, as aventurine. I'm new to this and trying to get it right! So confused at this point because it seems everyone does refer to what's inside the sommerso that is 'gold' as aventurine. 

Here  are a couple. One clear and one opaque. I appreciate greatly any light you can shed on this. Also, is the opaque orange bead technically sommerso, as it is opaque?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Uhmmm - maybe you forgot a picture? At least what I'm seeing looks like two parts of the same necklace. (and no, I don't know the difference between aventurine and foil flecks for sure, but my general sense is that the aventurine is smaller particles, generally showing as a swirl of the tiny flecks, more like sand particles than pieces of foil)

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Oops, here is the other photo. And, thanks for the reply. Since I asked it I ran across a bead with both aventurine AND gold foil flecks. To me the difference is also in the color, the aventurine looked more dark and coppery, and the gold foil was VERY glittery, and as you pointed out, more like tiny flecks. 

Anyway, here is the other bead that is orange. Also, since I asked I ran across one like this but it was white, and referred to as goldstone aventurina in (insert color here). 

Thanks for the reply! 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I googled a bit, but can't post links because best ones I found were commercial bead selling sites.  Apparently sommerso is a more generic term meaning submerged - aventurine refers specifically to copper flecks.  I would say both of yours could be called either one - I love the way the orange beads have a goldstone look.

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I love the goldstone inside the orange, too! This bead research is so much fun! While looking up photos like this orange one, I found out all about goldstone! Thank you for your input, it helps so much!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

That's some gorgeous art glass! But aventurine is actually a natural stone, usually green, but can be yellow, orange, purple or blue, that is translucent with bits of mica giving it shimmering effects.

Aventurine glass originally only referred to goldstone, which is copper flecks in glass, a manmade stone.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply