cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How old are the pins in this small cameo/portrait lot?

I'd like to know when the pins in this vintage cameo/portrait lot were made, but need a little help. One is a shell cameo, one is a blue molded glass cameo, one is a portrait transfer, and one isn't a cameo at all. It has a floral glass shard mosaic set in an oval glass sunstone. It's very unique. Has anyone ever seen anything like it? I haven't. 

If you have any ideas, your comments are welcome. Thank you. 

cameo20.jpgcameo7.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: How old are the pins in this small cameo/portrait lot?

You might consider selling these individually.  The mosaic is in "goldstone", a term for this type of glass.  Search goldstone mosaic, you will see some nice prices. The hinge with a C clasp was used as early as 1850. Also, search for Italy stamping or hallmarks, I believe these were popular as "Grand Tour" souvenirs.

Sparklies are forever!
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

The shell cameo has an 800 silver  stamp. Probably Italian, 20th century.

To my eye the oldest is the mosaic goldstone one.  Victorian I'd say. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I see the same as previous comments. The miniature portrait and blue Cameo could be early 20th century based on paddle like C-Clasp.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I agree, based on the hinge on the back the goldstone mosaic is Victorian Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

tbearsgirl, arlene_v, O.C.N, and mforjan, thanks for the replies! You've provided just what I was looking for.  I can't  express how grateful I feel for the help! I had no idea the mosaic goldstone could be the oldest. Thanks tbearsgirl, for giving it the proper name. 

I forgot to mention the marks I found. Thought the 800 was 000. The eight makes much more sense. The tiny transfer portrait has a mark engraved into the procelain on the back side. I'm not sure what it says. Looks like 1 B or 1 8, to me. I think these are the only two that are marked. 

This is just one part of the lot I was planning. Can't do it now, but I will send a photo of the pieces that complete the lot. Have to run now, but will try to do this later today or tomorrow. 

I'll also try for a close-up photo of the hinged side of the goldstone mosaic. Up-close it looks a little different for a tube hinge.

Ciao, for now! Thanks ((everybody))

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I think I know what you mean about the tube hinge on the mosaic one. It looks more square and I bet it has a shield like back with a pin that is shaped raised significantly at the hinge end. I have some brooches with that type. I have always thought those were older.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Part way down the page is a Georgian Brooch with a T-Bar hinge which is similar to simple Tube Hinges. The Article indicates the style of hinge had a longer time frame then I thought.

https://www.elderandbloom.com/articles/2017/1/7/brooch-fastenings
Message 8 of 8
latest reply