cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Sea Glass Shards? Pineapple Brooch Pin

Was intrigued not only by the front but also by the back of this brooch so I bought it to have a look. The back is tiny gold tone wire in a basket weave. The pieces of glass have slightly different coloring and shape and are smooth, so thinking could be real. The brooch seems to be well made.

But I don't know anything about sea glass shards how the jewelry sells or if it does. Is it old? Is it Artisan? I have tried to do some research and found some sites but not much on brooches or anything that looks like this. ANY help greatly appreciated. TYIA.

IMG_3737.JPG

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3740.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Tumbled peridot pieces Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for your help, mforjan.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I agree ....the color looks more like natural peridot gemstone ( my birthstone )  than the green of beach glass . Which is more of a yellowish green vs.  minty or " sea foam " green . 

Mermaid 🐋

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thanks, Mermaid, for your help.

I first looked at it because it was a pineapple. Then when I saw the back I took a second look. I was interested in how the back was made and who might have made it. Then I looked at the "glass" which is different from a lot of pineapple brooches I have seen. AND I like different. Didn't pay much for it and I wanted a closer look at it.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

This could be a Hawaiian Souvenir. Another name for the tumbled peridot is olivine. If you look up Hawaiian Olivine Peridot the results will show this as natural beach pebbles 🙂

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thanks, OCN - that is looking more like it. It looks like some of the pictures that are not a bright green. It has some other subtle colors in it - and the green is not at all bright - it is a lighter green and almost dull looking - but still smooth and shiny. If that makes sense.

Is the back unusual? I don't think I have ever seen anything like that but then there is a LOT I haven't seen. So much to learnSmiley Surprised Thanks again to all.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Although there were other makers that used these tumbled chips of natural stones were used during the mid 70s to mid 80s by Swoboda and Capri.  I always think of these two makers when I see these types of pieces.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Souvenir of Hawaii.  The stones are marketed as "Pele's Tears."

http://www.mauidivers.com/peridot-education

Debora

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Debora, that was interesting reading and I think the "beautiful green-gold color" probably best describes this brooch. So it being a pineapple, I am thinking it probably was a souvenir of Hawaii.

TO ALL - NOW – for the good part!!!!! In other searches I ran across some information and I think it is a MIRACLE that I bought this broochSmiley LOL "They" say the Peridot - has been used to slow the ageing process - help with speech - and used to find things that were lost. HALLELUJAH – I think I will keep itSmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

AND - Still wondering about the back of the brooch. It is Artisan? or did a company use this back (thin wire, basket weave) for their brooches.

Thanks again, to all.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply