cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Amber? sterling necklace

I have this interesting necklace. It's sterling, heavy a nice quality. Made in Italy.  The material in the pendant smells like amber when warmed and becomes softer when warmed. You can see it's translucent but has anyone seen anything like this that looks like this?  At first I thought it was leather but it's not leather- In a quandry about this one. It's also signed on the links but no makers mark just sterling 925 Italy Thanks - Jen

IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2410.JPGIMG_2407.JPG

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Help with Amber? sterling necklace

Oh I did see that it's marked 583 FI  - I'm not sure the maker though would help me figure out what the material is.  Jen

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Hard to tell, but I'm not liking the textured finish (even raw amber doesn't really look like that and most amber in jewelry has a smooth polished finish). Leather was my first thought, too, but you say it's translucent. I'm going to need to think on this. . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Let’s work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.” -Gene Kranz, Mission Control Director (played by Ed Harris), Apollo 13
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

583 is the registeration number for the Maker and FI is the City. Material could be horn or shell?
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Try looking here:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27003

I think you can search the Toipic to see if the mark "583 FI" is included as identified.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Not horn or shell because it becomes very soft when warmed in warm water. I'll take a flashlight to it to see if the cracks go below the surface.  Thanks for the ideas. J

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I think I'm leaning toward something organic, like horn? It just doesn't appear to cleave like a mineral would, but I could be wrong about that.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“Let’s work the problem, people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.” -Gene Kranz, Mission Control Director (played by Ed Harris), Apollo 13
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Horn can get soft when soaked in water, it's a technique used to soften and shape it. I've never worked horn, so not sure about that. But, like amber, it would organic and organic material would have similar properties (like that musky smell).

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Here is a picture with it wet-  it smells like a burnt wood - definately something that has been burned.  Hmm- still really don't think horn I have horn and this doesn't feel like it at all no click when tapped and just doesn't feel anything like a horn or shell.  It's so cool though it might be the 2nd piece of jewelry I keep. 🙂

IMG_0874.JPG

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

What about copal? It can crack and craze because unlike true amber it's not fully polymerized (the liquid compounds are still in there).

Just a thought.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Could it be something along the lines of very old tortoise shell?  Only saying because of the color and the slightly rounded top.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

So just to recap .. it smells like pine  when heated, and it also smells like burned wood. 

Visually it looks like shell or horn, and one of those would have got my vote,  but the smell you describe  is wrong for that. Tortoise Shell when heated smells  more like burned hair, or wet dog (seriously). If I recall correctly, horn has a similar smell when heated. 

So, based on the first post which described the smell being reminiscent of amber, I'm thinking maybe Volemus is right in suggesting copal.

Jen, keep it and enjoy it .... and wear it with that gorgeous ring of yours! 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Morning everyone- I do think copal is possible - but whatever it is it was in a fire.  When I warmed it in the warm water last night it gave off such a strong burnt wood smell.  I couldn't find any pictures of anything like it - so who knows.  It is soft and a tiny bit tacky when it was warmed.  I tried it on last night and I think I would have liked it more if it was a long piece. It really is more of a lavalier style- laying on the chest. Thanks for all your help.  I hate listing this type of thing-

"Beautiful sterling silver lavalier burnt with soft carmel center necklace"    🙂   I think I'll just gift it.  🙂

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The 583 mark is also the stamp for 14k gold. Most use 585 but 583 is also used. Is it the pendant setting with the 583 stamp? Have you tested it for gold content?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Arlene- you are so funny!  That did sum it up.  I tried it on last night - all ready to love it and - once again, jewelry just looks out of place on me.  I thought for sure my pretty ring would "change" the environment but no, it just always look out of place on me.  I have someone in mind  who loves unique sterling things - so I'll surprise her with it.  

KK - thanks for the reminder of the 583 - especially thinking that it might be amber.  But it is marked sterling right next to the 583.  It was an Italian designer who was assigned their stamp in the 1960's.  But that didn't help much either.

Thanks everyone - and Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Jen

Message 15 of 15
latest reply