cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help date/ID this marcasite (?) brooch

Hey everyone, thanks for your help with my last query. I'm wondering how old you guys think this brooch might be. It's marked '954' on the back - I thought this might be a silver mark but I haven't had any luck searching for this mark on Google - is anyone familiar? There are no other marks. I believe the stones are marcasite, does that seem correct?

I'm also wondering how old this might be. I bought it with a collection of other jewellery from an estate, with pieces ranging from the 50s-80s. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Help date/ID this marcasite (?) brooch

Anyone..?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Fraid I`m at a loss. Been searching around with no luck.

Crow normally knows this stuff..sit tight..she`ll be here soon I imagine

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Hi, Sorry I am not seeing any design or construction that jumps out that might help date this. There are other members here who have more experience and knowledge about Marcasite Jewelry than me. Hopefully after the long weekend they will be back to posting.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

the design look pretty retro modern, which would placeit in the 40s to 50s, possibly late 30s but basically mid 20th century, imho

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

One way to help judge quality is to look at the way the stones are set and what the metal is they are set into

The best early pieces tend to be silver set and have prong set marcasites - so much more work involved in the manufacture 

It is difficult to date this precisely but I would lean towards it being quite late - maybe 80's ?? 

I am not seeing any prongs - looks like the marcasites are glued

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks everyone for your help. Yes, it appears the marcasite is glued in, and to me the piece doesn't feel super old but it's hard to be sure. I just wish I could find out what the 954 mark means! Oh well.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Have you ever heard or seen about bead set stones?

bead set

I can't tell for sure, but it looks to me as though that is how you stones are set.  It was a pretty common way to set marcasites.  You have to look very closely because there are some pieces that are what I would call faux bead set.  That is where small beads are present in the setting, but are not holding the stones, but give the appearance that they are.  954 could be a silver content mark or it could be a the number of the design for this piece.  If this is a bead set piece my guess on the age of the piece would be mid-50s based off the setting and the shape of the safety clasp.  If this is a faux bead setting my guess would go to the mid-80s.  Judith Jack came out with quite a few marcasite jewelry piece in the mid 80s that were very popular.  Her pieces were generally marked.  Because they were popular, there were others that also came out with marcasite jewelry.  Because they followed a lot of the vintage designs and construction practices, marcasite pieces are hard to date.  Hope this helps.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

No, I hadn't heard of bead setting. How fascinating! Thanks so much. I'll have to have a closer look at the piece tomorrow.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply