cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEADS-UP "NEW" gemstone listing guidelines

Just received this in my email.  Thought I would pass it on.

Dear flipping_treasures,

Starting May 25, 2022, we’re making changes to our Jewelry policy. Our updated listing guidelines will create a more consistent and reliable experience for Jewelry buyers, help them find the items they’re looking for quickly and easily, improve conversion, and reduce issues resulting from unclear or inaccurate item descriptions.

New Jewelry listing guidelines effective May 25, 2022
  • Fine Jewelry. To list your item in the Fine Jewelry category, the Base Metal must be made from fine materials and the Main Stone must be a fine, natural stone. Secondary stones can include either fine or fashion materials.
    • Simulated gemstones are considered fashion jewelry.  We will move items with simulated main stones from fine jewelry into fashion jewelry in October
  • Diamonds. If you list a stone that is not an actual diamond, the term “diamond” cannot be included in the listing. You should instead describe your item using the actual material, such as moissanite, cubic zirconia, glass, etc.
  • Treated gemstones. If you list a natural stone that has been treated (e.g., dyed to enhance the color), you must state that the gemstone is “treated” in your listing title. You may not describe the stone as “enhanced.”
  • Lab-created gemstones. If you list a lab-created stone, you must clearly state that the stone is “lab-created” in your listing title, and not “man-made,” “lab-grown,” or other similar terms. “Lab-created” must immediately precede the stone name in your title (e.g., “lab-created diamond”).

Note: Starting May 25, 2022, active listings that do not comply with the new guidelines may be ended. Those Items will appear into your unsold folder and will need to be relisted to align with updated policy guidelines.

You can help buyers find the items they’re looking for and make sure they receive orders that match your item description by listing them clearly and correctly. Learn more about Fine and Fashion Jewelry best selling practices.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

The eBay Selling Team
Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: HEADS-UP "NEW" gemstone listing guidelines

And totally beats me. Why is Amber listed under Fine Gemstones, but Cherry Amber, the most valuable type of amber is listed under Fashion. WHY in the world, Ebay?

Message 61 of 69
latest reply

The asylum is now run by inmates and bean counters?  Only thing I can think of.  One reason I'm slowly quitting.  Or not so slowly.  After 18 years I've had enough of their shenanigans. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 62 of 69
latest reply

quit and go where?  if there was somewhere to go everybody would quit 🙂  Tried Etsy, they have their own craziness

Message 63 of 69
latest reply

Local auction probably. I recently ran the numbers and figured I'd make as much taking my Disability as I make on eBay, and without all the hassles.  It's going to have to happen eventually anyway, given that MS is progressive, and I've honestly had enough of the rat race other than the game on Price is Right. 

Message 64 of 69
latest reply

Overly strict imo. How are most ppl to know if a stone is natural or lab created? And an antique gold ring with a glass stone is going to be fashion and not fine? Makes no sense. Love nonsensical ebay rules. 

Message 65 of 69
latest reply

@njcarpetbagger wrote:

Overly strict imo. How are most ppl to know if a stone is natural or lab created? And an antique gold ring with a glass stone is going to be fashion and not fine? Makes no sense. Love nonsensical ebay rules. 

So says any jewelry seller ... of whom NONE were apparently asked about the change. 

Message 66 of 69
latest reply

I have filled out three surveys that eBay sent out asking about my "selling experience" and asking what they could do to make it better.  Let me just say, I told them.  I spelled out to them in great detail what these last changes has actually done to the jewelry category along to both buyers and sellers.  It really sucks IMHO. 

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 67 of 69
latest reply

I did the same. "Tell us what you think."   Deaf ears much?  

Message 68 of 69
latest reply

What a joke this policy is! Nothing has changed. They're still selling "natural" Goldstone. It's glass. They're selling hot pink and bright blue Tigers Eye as "natural". No such thing. I used to trust eBay for buying my beads and stone pendants. I no longer trust them to give accurate descriptions. When you can't physically see or feel stones you depend on the sellers to be truthful. Not on eBay anymore. I'm going to the Gem Faire in Puyallup, Wa soon and I'll buy there. EBay has become way too untruthful and undependable. 

Message 69 of 69
latest reply