cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud protection?

I'm getting ready to sell a 5 figure watch and am concerned when I read about potential PayPal fraud.  Has anyone had a bad experience?  Does anyone have a suggestion now that Escrow.com is no longer an option?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Fraud protection?

Can`t say I`ve had a bad experience with PP.

First of all I can`t even imagine selling such a high $$ item on Ebay. 

Is this a posting ID or are you brand new to  selling on Ebay? If you are new, I`d hate to see you start out with such a pricey item..as too many things could go wrong.  

Even if you are a seasoned seller...I`d be leery of doing this..just mho of course. Cat Happy  Good luck! 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I agree. Build up some feedback first, get your feet wet, and then mess with the high end stuff. i've been at it for a decade and I'm not sure I'd want to mess with anything that expensive. You're also not likely to get anything close to the original retail if it's a newer piece. Ebay is pretty close to wholesale on a lot of pieces; I'd check Sold auctions to see what the model goes for here before proceeding further.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Before you list please know that low feedback sellers listing high dollar items are the #1 target for scammers.  If you do decide to list, I'd suggest listing as a Buy It Now with immediate payment required.  Scammers will try every which way to get your personal email address and then send you a very official looking notice from PayPal that the item has been paid for.  Always check your PayPal account to make sure the money is there before shipping.  If the buyer is really a bad person, they can request a return and send back an empty box and you will have to refund them.  Please set aside some time, go to the top of this page and choose "Selling" from the drop down list under the Discussion Boards.  Sadly, there is little to no fraud protection for sellers.  Good luck.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

H, make sure you ship the item according to his/her Paypal address. Paypal will also notify you that you are now ready to ship ( in safe mode) and you have your own return policy period.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Instead of listing on ebayI would list something like that with an auction house. Not only are you better protected, but you also get a viewership that is much more likely to buy it. I have done  several items this way over the years and have always been happy with the outcome. If you would like to know which one I use the most let me know.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Instead of listing on ebay, I would list something like that with an auction house. Not only are you better protected, but you also get a viewership that is much more likely to buy it. I have done  several items this way over the years and have always been happy with the outcome. If you would like to know which one I use the most let me know.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply