cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Ebay regarding new authentication rules for jewelry over $500.

Just got this today. Cutting and pasting.  Not sure if the links will work after cutting and pasting, but I'm sure can be found somewhere on Ebay.

"Dear lucille.b,

As we create the premier marketplace for buyers and sellers of luxury items, we’re excited to announce the extension of Authenticity Guarantee to the jewelry category.  Millions of buyers already shop for jewelry on eBay and new investments in the category will deliver better experiences and improved conversion. 

Starting July 20, 2022, Authenticity Guarantee, our authentication service for luxury items, will begin to cover inventory from eBay sellers who list items that sell for $500 or more in the Fine Jewelry and Engagement and Wedding Jewelry categories. We will be increasing our coverage of listings throughout the summer and fall and we’ll notify you when Authenticity Guarantee applies to your inventory. 

Along with the extension of Authenticity Guarantee to jewelry, we’ll also be investing in marketing to drive traffic and new buyers, and improvements to the jewelry buying experience on our platform. 

To help fulfill our commitment to the jewelry category, final value fees* will increase for most sellers effective September 12, 2022. Learn how the final value fee changes in the Jewelry category may impact your business."

Am I reading this correctly that sellers need to mail any $500+ value sold jewelry items to Ebay for authentication?  What could go wrong? 

In fairness I don't have too many pieces selling in this price range, but curious how this policy is going to work.  It specifically says, "items that sell for $500 or more in the fine jewelry category."  So if you list something at $100, and it exceeds $500, now you need to first send the item to Ebay to get authenticated??   I'd be worried about lost or mixed up inventory and possible other errors.  Where are they going to get all these jewelry appraisers from??  Many questions.

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Email from Ebay regarding new authentication rules for jewelry over $500.

There is a lot of costume selling for over $500. It is just a matter of time before we get drug in!..I think they need to get bombarded with emails  I would never want to send a diamond anything to an in-between person! Too easy to switch the diamond! Plus, no matter how popular an estimator or authenticator is, they too make mistakes! I had a vase I sold at auction in London for $21,000.00 that Christies told me they couldn't do an appraisal on things worth less than $500.  Besides the eBay buyer guarantee covers all that! What is the point?

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

I have complained and filed so many fraudulent claims against "NAME DELTED" and ebay is not doing ANYTHING ABOUT IT.  `18CT "NATURAL STONE FOR $300 MY A__.   I even sent a note to the seller telling them they had to start being honest about the stones being JUNK.

WAKE UP EBAY.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

I have deleted the name of the seller.  It is against eBay rules to use the seller's name in the type of post you posted.

Believe me when I say, those in this group totally understand your frustration.  There are sellers and buyers alike in this group that have been around since eBay started.  We have reported until our fingers bleed.  Very, VERY rarely has it done any good. 

"You cannot control what others do, you can only control how you react to what they have done."  This is something you need to learn while on eBay or any other internet selling venue.  It will save you lots of headaches and heartaches.   

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Hi Folks,

I share all your concerns.

No one likes change and sometimes i find myself agreeing with ebay after a while.

However, this one is mind boggling. 

As a seller of high value diamond jewelry for over 15 years on ebay there are a some very large issues with this policy.

A: We can kiss goodbye to any customer  who wishes to get their item in the next day or two, they will simply go to Amazon or any other platform.

B: For any seller of Clarity Enhanced diamonds (approximately 50% on ebay), the GIA does not grade Clarity Enhanced diamonds, many labs do, they dont and dont have the experience.

C: Grading is subjective, and true, no one should take advantage of that, However, GIA is by far the strictest grading lab out there and often disagree with themselves ( i once sent a D VVS1 diamond do be certified again to the GIA as the jeweler did not want a certificate which was 2 years old, which is very common, we got it back as a E VVS2, a significant loss to us and it was done by the same grader!). 99% of the diamonds on ebay are either graded by a gemologist selling the diamond, by a smaller local lab or one of the other perfectly respectable labs such as IGI and AGI who do NOT use GIA grading standards. Will GIA fail their grading and send the item back because "they dont agree"?

😧 Over the years we have made many customers who come back 2 or 3 times a year to buy jewelry from us. They respect the lab we use and so does their jeweler but if GIA decides they dont agree it will be cancelled and sent back to us? That is just insane.

There many more issue such as carat weight once mounted, ring size, if the customer asks us to change it last minute on ebay before we send it out,...

There is no way this was discussed with professional sellers on ebay as this would be killed on arrival.

From my conversation with ebay they have no idea how it would work which does not instill any confidence and i fear the jewelry industry which is north of 250 million a year on ebay is going to go extinct.

We as seller need to make ebay aware of this terrible policy.

I can understand about branded items which are not subjective but there cannot be one glove fit all policy on ebay.

Wish you all the best of luck and hope ebay will come to their sense.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Hope springs eternal.  It is human nature to keep on hoping against all odds.  Unfortunately, with eBay, when it comes to changing a policy, they have declared no matter how it hurts sellers and/or buyers, it IS AGAINST THE ODDS. 😭

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 20 of 31
latest reply

You can’t control what eBay does. You can only react in your best interest. I would not trust eBays “authentication” there are a myriad of bad things that could happen.  I would list only jewelry bin for $495 or less. Sell your expensive jewelry elsewhere. Another thing, it looks like eBay takes a bigger commission for expensive items, that’s the opposite of what reputable auction houses and dealers do. Greedy 

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

I get a kick out of ebay's efforts to shed its reputation as an online flea market when that's exactly what it has been since the beginning.   I think buyers and sellers have evolved enough to understand the risks of online shopping.  There are safety measures in place in the event of a dispute.  They may not work 100% of the time, but for the most part they do work.  

I believe this program will fail if it hasn't already, and that includes the mashed up item specifics.  I've sold a mix of fine and costume for  24 years, and have rolled with every punch ebay has thrown, but I think they lost this round.  It's obvious that it was created by someone without clue how difficult and risky it would be to send a diamond to GIA for certification.  If they thought it would be an improvement, they were wrong.

The market share for diamonds is shrinking because the disposable income crowd puts their money into Ikea and electronics.   They're not sentimental about diamond jewelry like we once were, and I doubt a GIA certificate would impress them.   A lab created CZ set in silver, copper, titanium or crapium will do.  

I do feel for the dedicated diamond sellers who now have to jump through hoops to make a hard-earned sale.  It's hard enough to compete with jewelry stores let alone your own selling venue.   Please ebay, hire or consult with someone (your sellers!) with some understanding of selling fine and fashion jewelry to fix this mess!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

LOL, Dream.  So here is a "message" from Adam Ireland.  I highlighted the "interesting" things he said.

A message from Adam Ireland, VP and GM, eBay US

Hello Sellers,

It’s been a couple of weeks since the wrap of eBay Open ’22 and during what was truly a record-breaking event (more than 10,000 of you attended) I had the privilege of introducing myself to many of you – from both our virtual stage and at our Los Angeles viewing party. Now I’d like to take another opportunity for a more formal introduction. 

I’m Adam Ireland, the new VP and GM of eBay, US, and having worked alongside Jordan for several years, I know what a tremendous responsibility it is to do this job and to serve as your voice.  Consider me a continuation of Jordan (just with an even odder accent!) with the same fierce commitment to setting up your businesses for growth and success, every day.

I love eBay. I’ve been here 11 years – and in that time, have worked across strategy, customer service, and operations, both in Europe and in the U.S. And the longer I’ve worked here, the more my passion for what we do has grown. Working at a company that partners with its sellers, and continuously evolves its strategies and platform to perform for small businesses around the globe, is truly inspirational. The collaboration we’re able to have with our seller community is one of the things that makes eBay unique, and I look forward to meeting many of you in the near future, and partnering with you all to ensure we continue making eBay the platform on which you want to sell.

I’m also incredibly excited about the momentum we’ve built in the past few years, and which is only going to keep accelerating. It feels like a lifetime ago that we started the journey we’re on – identifying and investing in key categories to drive enthusiast, high-value, and loyal buyers and business across the entire marketplace. By moving fast, experimenting and innovating for the future, and (most importantly) working in close partnership with you – our sellers – we’re building the strongest eBay ever.

Which brings me to the connections I look forward to building with you. As I step into this role, I promise that I — and all of eBay — will remain laser-focused on listening to you, responding to your needs, and championing the growth of your businesses.

So stay tuned for lots ahead! We have new faces to introduce to you (more on that in the coming weeks) and I’m making plans to meet and get more acquainted with many of you. 

Finally, keep an eye out for our holiday outlook, which is just around the corner and brimming with interesting and optimistic insights. I’ll be sharing what’s trending and selling as an unusual holiday season kicks into high gear. I may even toss in a photo or two of my infamous Christmas sweater collection!

Until then, thanks for your time, for your attention, and for your partnership. And, as always, thank you for selling on eBay! 

Adam Ireland

VP and GM, eBay US

Sounds like the same ole, same ole.  Instead of someone really interested in helping the very sellers eBay was actually built on, the small seller selling unique items that brought the buyers in.  A search engine that actually works instead of sending buyer to where eBay "thinks" they should be.  A feedback system that is an even playing ground.  A true separation of new vs vintage, there is a true difference in the buyers for each.  AND FIX THE ITEM SPECIFICS.

I could go on and on, but what are your thoughts?

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Bad enough that TV is filled with re-runs after re-runs after re-runs, & in the political world, lots of words being spoken, but nothing actually being said.... but we have to put up with it here also. 

Time to change barf bags, again

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Sounds like SCDD. Same crp different day.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Wheeeeeeere's the beef?!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 26 of 31
latest reply

How do I get back the time I spent wading through that pile of worthless verbiage ?  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

You are right!  I am a buyer, NOT a seller, and I can spot fake jewelry myself from a mile away after many years of practice.  I don't need some unknown middleman taking up time fooling around with the jewelry.  I just bought a 25 year old branded ring that I can easily tell from seller's great photos is REAL, yet just learned it was sent to an authenticator.  But..... the authenticator is somehow not getting the mailed item with seller's applied  tracking number because the recipient is somehow "not registered."  WHAT?  Registered as what, or with whom?  Supposedly this stuff is going to GIA.    But going where, and to whom?   "Not registered?" 

Yes, buyers who have paid for their merchandise want their item ASAP,  not bungled with by who knows who or held up at some PO because of some boondoggle.  I will put this in dispute with credit card company in a couple of days if I don't get a decent answer from ebay about this.  I feel sorry for you sellers!

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

i was just looking and found an engagement ring over over $8000. was not being authenticated. so i just lost a 600 sale because it takes 3 weeks to get the item that the buyer paid for and OWNS!!!!!!!!!!! not ebay!!!!!. they are charging us even higher fees( ebay does ZERO for free). customers during the holidays are going no longer shop on ebay. 

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

What?  very ambiguous statement ?

Message 30 of 31
latest reply