cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy way to clean rhinestones without damaging old costume jewelry?

I got several pieces of old costume rhinestone jewelry this past weekend. Many of the pieces have rhinestones that are small and very close set. All are prong set. But they have some gunk on them that needs to be cleaned so they will sparkle for photos. Can I use sunshine cloths or will that ruin them? Is there a way to clean the stones without damaging the metal? 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Easy way to clean rhinestones without damaging old costume jewelry?

I use a baby toothbrush, slightly damp, and it gets them pretty clean. I wouldn't use a sunshine cloth as it is mildly abrasive. I then use a soft cotton cloth to wipe off any leftover residue and buff them up. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I use a baby toothbrush, slightly damp, and it gets them pretty clean. I wouldn't use a sunshine cloth as it is mildly abrasive. I then use a soft cotton cloth to wipe off any leftover residue and buff them up. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

You can also use a paintbrush if you have one of those and no baby toothbrush around.  😊 

If the gunk is real bad,  I will use a cotton swab slightly damp with rubbing alcohol.  Just make sure to squeeze the excess off before using,  you don’t want it soaking wet.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

That’s perfect! Thank you. I thought that to try and clean each tiny stone with isopropyl alcohol might lead to a disaster to the metal as my eyes are not that good and my hand isn’t that steady. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

IMG_5571.jpeg

 It’s fairly bad on this Coro piece. My concern is that I might ruin the value if I try to use a cotton swab on all the little stones. 

IMG_5575.jpeg

 This one is bad too but I’m just gonna leave it as it has seed pearls in it and no telling what might happen to them while I tried to clean. The Eisenburg Original piece that I got is easier to clean so I’m safe there. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Just don't get the rhinestones too wet.  Those are foilback glass stones.  When moisture gets between the foil and the glass, the rhinestones get dark, then get worse and worse the more you try to clean them.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for that. It’s my biggest fear that I’ll actually make things worse by trying to make it better. I’ll keep a “damp” on the dry said. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

This is why I like alcohol,  it dries out quicker,  but yes do not soak it,  damp is best

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Thank you all. Here is the before and after of the Coro piece. I did alcohol sprayed on cotton swab and then I squeezed it damp. Cleaned to the best of my ability without touching the metal. (No easy task for an over caffeinated person.) I buffed with one of the many soft microfiber cloths that I use for my anti-reflective glasses as I figure it will also work on rhinestones which it did. 

IMG_5571.jpeg

 Before

IMG_5586.jpeg

 After

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Looks great...worth your effort!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Nice! Big difference.

Larry

On the Chisholm Trail.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

They look AMAZING !  So much better.  ❤️🥰

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thank you all for your help. Now I just need to figure out how to separate the two. I’ve never had a Duette before and I’m as mechanical as a piece of petrified wood. Hopefully the patent will shed some light on it. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Nice job & I learned something here. Thanks!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply