cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dragon's Breath Lot

I have 35 pieces of dragon's breath that I've collected over the years and now that I need money for some bills I'm trying to get rid of things.  I've never done a lot before so don't know if I should do them all at once or in smaller sets, any hints would be great thanx.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Dragon's Breath Lot

Beautiful collection!  How about lots according to color?  Or maybe era?  I also see a couple of brooches and earrings that would make up a couple of sets, the ones with the beads as the frame.  Good luck.  Be sure to post them to the coming attractions thread when you get them together.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Lovely pieces Lexi heart

I think I would separate the collection into smaller lots to invite (entice) bidders.

I agree with Sandy about how to match pieces.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Those are seriously beautiful!  What a wonderful collection you have!  I agree with the advice so far.  A little dragon's breath goes a long way.  Small lots and matched pieces will bring in a better return.  Also, you should think twice before listing all of them at once, in my opinion.  The market for dragon's breath turns on scarcity.

Best of luck!

Allison/thirry

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I agree with thirry about scarcity, but if I needed a hunk of money right now, I'd sell them in a lot. First I'd research what individual pieces of comparable jewelry are going for, adjust my expectations because I'm likely to get less per piece with a lot. I'd use fixed price format with a best offer option, then ask for fair market value, or slightly less, based on average prices for individual pieces. I think this would cast a net for a reasonable offer and still attract buyers. In fact, the jewelry will do that. I think you would need the safety net of a fixed price format. I once sold a beautiful set of DB jewelry without one and was disappointed. A lot is an even greater risk. Best of luck with your beautiful collection, and may you decide well.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I would not sell all in one big lot.  We had another jewelry board member ask a similar question on selling her earrings.  She put them in smaller lots and was happy.  I have a couple of lots listed right now and 1 has a beginning bid and other not.  My listings start sometimes at auction with a beginning bid that I can live with.  If no bids then it goes on Fixed price with offers accepted.  Also the advice given to you from others is right now.  Please let us know when you list them.  Some of your most interested buyers are on this board.  Also I just asked a question on timing of listing.  Most agreed that fixed price does not matter but auction start the listing more in the evenings.  Only costs 10 cents to list an listing on the time you want.  

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

What about picking out pieces that match in color, and make parures, then use some of the remaining as demi-parures? The pieces that don't go into parures could be offered as a lot.

Just a thought.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I'd break it up into smaller lots by age and color, if nothing else.  The yellow tends to be rarer than the red, and the green is just about impossible to find.  I've looked for years for some at a reasonable price and never seen any at all.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I have found the more put into the lot, the less per piece will make.

JMHO, but I would make multiple lots that have some kind of theme, color, pins, age etc. That way you will get more for your wonderful collection!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply