cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creepy? Cool? Or Creepy Cool?

I just retired my favorite hand "prop" because it's gotten dirty and I can no longer get the marks out.  One thing I've noticed about photographing jewelry is that flesh tone is one of the best colors on which to photograph it.  If you've ever held a rhinestone brooch in your hand you might have noticed that the colors remain true to the stone, so I like to use hand props pretty often.

I've been curious about the realistic looking silicone body parts sold on ebay and decided to try a hand.  I just received it and it sure looks real!  It's a little creepy in that the silicone is soft and the fingers wiggle when you move it.  That's really a good thing for positioning.  If my kids were still living home I'm sure they'd make me get rid of it.  Ha!  For those of you who use props, what's your opinion of my new "hand?"

handprop1.JPGhandprop2.JPG

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Creepy? Cool? Or Creepy Cool?

I had this thought, kozz...  How about press on nails?  I think they would stick with just a little water, and that way I can remove them if I list men's jewelry.  The next time I go to the Dollar Store I'll check them out.  

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

I don’t know dream, maybe because I know it isn’t real. If I didn’t maybe I wouldn’t notice. Maybe painting the fingernails would make a big difference since the fingernails are the same color as the rest of the hand and they would look different on a real hand?

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

That's an even better idea! If the ones at the dollar store don't look nice enough, ones at the drug store might be better quality in the long run, as the hand is an investment that you'll be using frequently. 

Keep us posted on the evolution of the hand!

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Maybe if you drew a few veins on it it would look really real. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

And age spots, lets not forget those.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

Well heck, I might as well use my own hand then!  Ha!

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@dream*peddler wrote:

Well heck, I might as well use my own hand then!  Ha!

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was my thought, too!!!! 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

like it!  And you know how I like props!

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

It is both creepy and cool . I agree with those who say the nails need some sort of color ( I think that's a big part of the creepy factor ) . That's a great idea on the press on nails .  I think the photo of the butterfly brooch in hand looks AMAZING ! 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

I hate to be the voice of dissent, but it still looks really creepy to me. Don't mean to be insensitive to anyone who has had a loss -- at first glance it reminds me way too much of a preserved hand. 

Just my $0.02. 

A. 

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

That is a pretty nice hand! I have some plain white plastic ones that I use at the flea market.  Just don't get the skanky ones with nail polish.  They just make me cringe.  Don't know why.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@thirry wrote:

I hate to be the voice of dissent, but it still looks really creepy to me. Don't mean to be insensitive to anyone who has had a loss -- at first glance it reminds me way too much of a preserved hand. 

Just my $0.02. 

A. 

Me too, thirry. To me it looks like a dismembered hand from a body that bled out. I apologize if that is too graphic.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I like it! But I'm weird like that! LMAO
Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

I can see why some folks might think this falls into the Uncanny Valley - the problem is that while it's more realistic than the old-style mannequin hands, it's much smoother than actual human skin and too uniform in color. (Though I didn't think of Autons until OCN reminded me...)

Press-on nails... maybe in colors to coordinate with the jewelry! I wouldn't paint them; the polish would chip and look gross.

Personally, I think it looks better than most of the real-people hands that we see displaying jewelry!

flotsamlogo
Message 29 of 29
latest reply