cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion for the seller let alone the buyer.

Hello Fellow members,

Have not been active much of late owing to other commitments. But open to find the changes to categories that effect us in this board. re-metal's and stone listings. 

I printed out much so I could digest it all, ( prefer to read on paper if lengthy). 

Being from a country that like many like us has 9ct, as a general metal used for even precious stone jewellery. I see this will cause much concern for listing their items in fashion Jewellery. It will be interesting to check how the British will cope with this just as example.

Then there is the matter of treated natural coloured stones wanting a certificate. As in general all semi precious stones are treated in some way these days. Even precious as in Emerald for example is oiled at the mine before cutting. This is rather an oxymoron. don't you think. Nearly every sapphire of general jewellery is treated. We just take it for granted that most material is these days.

The classic "vermeil" so wellknown in Europe was always silver gold plated. We do all our samples like this for the travellers. silver plated with either 18ct or 22ct gold. All gemstones in our case are natural except of course we no longer use diamonds but. Cubic Zirconia ,t he reason of course expense and Insurance is a big part of this. 

14ct or 14K, to Much of the world was used  where 9ct was used for these were countries settled by other Europeans. But, America took this as their metal of choice for basic jewellery. Try convincing a Oriental or Asian it is gold and see how far you will get. 

As an example only, we have a marvelous book , here, printed in 1929. in London about gold alloys and their uses. For example in this there is listed what they have written about. How to make them and some of there uses, from spectacle frames, pen barrels, fine jewellery etc. Most informative. No "Web" in those days.

Tables included were for 22ct.20ct.18ct.16ct.15ct.14ct.13ct.12ct. 10ct.9ct. 81/4ct.8ct. 71/2ct. 7ct. 61/2ct. 6ct. and various other "sundry Bright Gold alloys". 

How to convert from Pennyweight  and grains to Decimals or ounces. I grew up with pennyweights. Most wedding rings in the early 60's were sold as 11/2 .2. and up pennyweight ,half round , buff topped square section, etc. You could go anywhere in the world and be understood then. eBay, has just gone made, yes they say it is because of there legal responsibilities. Great, they don't have to write in their selling information areas. I can assure you, that there is more people out there who are lying in their teeth about what they are selling and couldn't care less. Try getting a straight answer or deal through any new immigrant these days. Hands in the air with " I don't understand English", but trying to sell you something and talk you down in price . They understand don't worry. I read things on any eBay around the world that is either in English or has been translated. and often laugh my head off at what people try to pass off. 

Your use of the term " Hall marks", is one as it can only refer to the English and their Assay offices and codes if you want to be accurate. Makers marks and metal stamps is really all you should be suing except for English, South African, Canadian, Australian where they registered assay offices on settings these countries. Still. from changing the orignal golf ball size to our spelling, what is another spurious change to an established method. The world will be changing to Mandarin soon.

Like  the American Dictionary, to and English dictionary, the rules have been changed, I always refer to an English spelling dictionary  instead of a spell check if I wish to be pedantic. 

So the eBay prerequisites are to me a little confusing in places and over the top when it comes to certification for gemstone(natural ). Lab created stones should be listed if known, as these have been created now since the early 19century. What fun as we also will confuse till once again changes will be made. Jillian.

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Confusion for the seller let alone the buyer.

Jullian we are very much aware of the changes along with the problems that will be created for those selling in the Fine and Fashion Categories.  You might want to read this previous thread:  http://community.ebay.com/t5/Jewelry-Gemstones-Board-Group/eBay-changing-jewelry-category-policies-m...

Unfortunately you are preaching to the choir and eBay is the choir director.  Thank goodness the majority of people on this board sell in the vintage category.  Imagine trying to deal with these new "guidelines" with older vintage second, third or more handed jewelry.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 2
latest reply