cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaking News......

OK girls, what do you think of Pay Pal and eBay splitting appart to run as separate companies?. I wonder what difference it will make to our business?..

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Breaking News......

Paypal will be publically traded, so on Wall Street. Thats never a good thing imho, for consumers

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

From what I have read so far it probably won't make any difference to us sellers, but I have no idea. Everything at this point will be speculation. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

They've been talking about it for years - the shoe has finally dropped.

Probably a good move for PP from a business standpoint. Separating from eBay will give them more reach in the general market. Not sure what advantage eBay gets but maybe we'll see some additional payment options in the future such as Etsy's direct checkout. Their stock went up 6 points after the announcement.

As for Wall Street, we have that now so nothing changes.

flotsamlogo
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The way I see it is, PP handles a lot of different sales now as well as other things and might be a good thing they are not connected to e-bay.. Just hope e-bay doesn't deside to have their own finance co. now?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

You all might want to read this one:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m10/i01/s01

That is one way to clear the boards (finances that is).  Hold on to your hats, it could get to be a bumpy ride.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Hmmm..and they said Ebay won`t be sold???  

I`ll hold the money if anyone wants to wager  

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Sandy....WOW .....just wondering HOW that happened to have that kind of debt...one acquisition too many??? and is that debt really that high...

is any part of that debt PayPal 

PayPal gets their fees right away......I never understood why Ebay didnt have their fees paid on sales and just collected them monthly

the stores are different and listing fees are different..that should be monthly .....i just wonder when they changed the store structures if they lost a bit right away and then in the long run

and policy changes

they may need to start advertising the OLD eBay is Back...but better

as far as i am concerned...eBay is the little engine that could

weather the storm but dont have eBay sold to someone else

photo newyearsimageebay.jpg
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I would imagine that part of that debt is paypals.  I think a sell off of eBay could very well be right around the corner, otherwise good old Donahue wouldn't be positioning himself the way he is.  JMHO  But I have seen this type of thing before and without exception the current CEO does not remain and is positioned to be on "both" companies boards.  But we will just have to wait and see.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I certainly do smell a sale of eBay coming within the next couple of years - and the buyer I see is likely Alibaba, or at least a Jack Ma headed consortium of some sort. (I don't like the idea, but in fairness I'm forced to admit it might not be that bad - I know a couple of people who have opened shops on Eleven Main and they seem to be doing well.)

Interestingly, a Reuters article about the proposed split mentioned that eBay's financial advisor is Goldman Sachs. That pretty much explains all the nonsense we've had to put up with all this time!

flotsamlogo
Message 10 of 10
latest reply