cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone familiar w/old metal name plate pins?

Hope everyone's well. Starting to heat up, here in Wyoming, but that's to be expected. 🙂

I don't know if this is worth listing, but I think it's interesting. Name on this metal pin is Helen Hunter. I think the building, right of the middle, might be the Empire State Building. Also, it has 2 "C" clasps on the back, but one lies sort of flat. 1 3/4" wide x about 1" tall.

Any thoughts? Age? Art Deco? Agree with the Empire State Building thought?

Old Name Plate Pin.jpg

Old Name Plate Pin 1.jpg

Old Name Plate Pin 2.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Maybe the bottom held a ribbon? Like "Offical" or "Country Name"?
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ah, great thought, crow. I'll see what I can find. Thanks.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Hard to tell if that's the NYC skyline from your photograph.  Could be but, if so, crudely done.  Skyscrapers could be (from left to right) Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower (1909), Chrysler Building (1930) and Empire State Building (1931).  But, then again, one could be the Woolworth Building (1913).  The building on far left could be New York City Hall (1811).  

Looks 1930-ish to my eye.

Debora

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, debora! I found one in the ended listings, similar, that has New York printed on it, with the skyline like mine. Haven't compared the buildings, but the keyword "ribbon" helped me to zero in.

Here's the one in ended listings, unsigned: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Whitehead-Hoag-New-York-Skyline-Nameplate-Double-Fastener-pin-/25197...
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Interesting.  And, you know, I think it's meant to depict the skyline of Lower Manhattan, not Midtown.  Perhaps from viewpoint of Brooklyn Bridge.

Debora

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Good point, debora. I still haven't checked that aspect of it, but thanks for your thoughts. When I lived on the East coast, I used to go to the city all the time. Haven't been there for years, but I'll always love NY. 🙂
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

the pin that you posted the listing to looks like it has the twin towers in it but it is way too old to have them since they weren't built until the 70's..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down.
Wilson Mizner
Message 8 of 8
latest reply