cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any one familiar with natural emerald

Having just seen a picture of that Lovely Cartier bracelet, I just wanted to show you one we had the privilegeprivilege of making some years ago. A customer bought a **bleep**py bracelet of emeralds while on a trip to India. But, still wanted some thing really grand made out of them. 18ct. white gold. I would like to have use some yellow gold to make the emeralds look better, but no this it the drawing she liked.  Sorry the picture is so small. Jillianemr bracelet.jpg

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Beautiful work on that bracelet, Jillian.  I love the cabochon end caps on the spacer links.  Thanks for showing it!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Very nice, Jillian.  These make my heart go "pitti-pat".  And like Dream said, those cabochons on the end spacer caps are delightful!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Very nice indeed.  Thanks for posting that, Jillian.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Oh wow. I just love the design. Good job!

Can  you make me one? Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Beautiful heart
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thank you everyone, I have the pattern ladies, if you want one!!!! J
Charm Affair or Charm
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Very nice.  I love the design.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Gorgeous!  And I'd actually rather have one like this than the Cartier because it could be worn more often! 

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

really pretty with the touches on the hinges!

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I have bought hundreds of emeralds, and know a bit about them. 🙂
It is a very charming bracelet design--looks like Art Deco or Transition Style to me. And you are RIGHT that emeralds look better set in YELLOW gold. Many master Colombian jewelers refuse to set emeralds in anything but yellow gold. No white allowed. 🙂
Unfortunately, from the photos, the emerald look mostly opaque, not transparent, which greatly reduces their value. (If that's a photo artifact, and the emeralds are very transparent, all apologies 🙂 Top quality emeralds are transparent, have as few internal flaws as possible, are a fairly dark and very vivid green--currently, color seems to be the top factor in emerald value, followed by clarity. And prices rise enormously with carat weight. The AGL is the highest authority in USA when it comes to colored stones, but the GIA has solid educational resources: https://www.gia.edu/emerald-quality-factor Also, treatment with colorless oil--usually Cedar--is standard and does not reduce emerald value. SOME flaws almost always exist in natural emeralds. They are considered a Type 3 gemstone, and the grading standards are quite different from diamonds. Two trustworthy ebay sellers have very useful emerald grading educational info. on their listings: esmstore001 and antonowskiy. I am not linked with them in any way, except I have bought some high quality emeralds from them in the past.
The bracelet really is a lovely design; if the emeralds were transparent and the diamonds top quality, you would want it graded by the AGL, and sell it through one of the top auction houses, like Christie's or Sotheby's.
ALSO, I need to mention that there are a LOT of phony emerald sellers on ebay. Buyer Beware! In particular, right now (04/2017) there is a Sri Lanka 5.80 carat emerald for sale for between $20-$30. They are FAKE. The stones are only zircons, which can be bought for only a dollar or two. They are not even lab created emeralds--Chatham, etc.--which cost more. I am certain of this, because I bought one, complained when I got a zircon instead of an emerald, and the seller tried arguing with me about the price of zircons! ebay refunded my money. This phony seller is still using the same photo he used to sell me the fake. You are NOT going to find a 5+ carat transparent quality emerald for less than thousands of $$. (Unless you get really lucky at an estate sale run by uninformed owners.)
But, all and all, the bracelet is very attractive, and quite Art Deco Style. In fact, I own an Art Deco bracelet with a very similar design. It has emerald cut blue "sapphires" in the middle part, and "diamonds" surrounding and in the connecting clasps. Sadly, it is only a very nicely crafted imitation, with great milgrain and a nice thick shiny rhodium coating. It's still very pretty, and most people think it's real.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply