cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any info on this miniature

Found in a box of estste jewelry..Any inf appreciated..Thanks1.jpg1a.jpg1d.jpg1e.jpg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I am not sure what exactly has happened here but there is some serious damage to this piece of jewelry.

The miniature is probably depicting a "famous beauty" of history, not a family portrait of a relative in other words (i.e. not  plain Aunt Betsy!)

This brooch has age, but it is hard to pin down exactly the date. I would guess probably late 1800s early 20th century but the c clasp doesn't really date it all that definitively. Set in base metal.  (from what I am seeing in the picture)

It is impossible for me to tell what the material of the actual  portrait is because of all the cracks. Is the glass cracked or is the entire portrait  cracked? 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Your brooch reminds me of one I have.  I brought it up here once but we didn't come up with anything definitive.  I still can't figure out if it's some type of stiff paper or cardboard or even a thin shell.  I feel like if some environmental or physical damage happened to mine, it would look like yours.  Arlene's assessment feels right about these figures being famous beauties and not a family member portrait.  The back of mine is similar, too.  

papercameo1.JPGpapercameo2.JPGpapercameo3.JPGpapercameo5.JPG

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 3 of 3
latest reply