cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas about what this jewelry-like gizmo might be?

This .... thing .... has a jewelry-like look about it -- it's made of what appears to be celluloid, and decorated with rhinestones -- but, for the life of me, I can't figure out what its purpose might be. 

The ribbed, tube-shaped thingies measure about 1 1/8 x 3/8 inches, and they do not detach from the silver, narrow-gauge cross-wire that attaches them, one to the other.

Any ideas? 

001.JPG008.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Any ideas about what this jewelry-like gizmo might be?

Too big for a cufflink?

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Yeah, I think it's too big for a cufflink, but ..... maybe.

In my previous description, I should have included the information that the narrow silver wire bar, which holds the two pieces together, measures about 5/8 inch across. Additionally, the two ribbed tubes do spin on that bar, but they don't seem to want to come off the wire bar (I tried pulling on them, gently, but they remain affixed to the bar).

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Have you tried to unscrew one of the ends?  I believe this is a Jabot hat pin.  Era 1940s and worn on felt hats.

Jabot

UB4154.jpg

I sold this one not too long ago.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Oh, my gosh! That's it! That's what it is! Yay!

You know, the connection between the two celluloid pieces seems so delicate, so tenuous, that I guess I was afraid to mess with it too much, for fear of breaking something. The wire piece looks to be about, oh, maybe 18-20 gauge, and it never occurred to me to see if the celluloid bits would unscrew from the wire, never occurred to me that there might be screw-threads on the wire. But you're right! One of those pieces does unscrew from the wire! 

I'll tell ya .... It never would have occurred to me that the thingie was a hat pin, so thank you so much for identifying it for me!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Be sure to use both names, jabot/hat pin, as a jabot (frill at the ndeckline and front of a dress or blouse) may be more likely to be in use today.  My mother made me a dress which had a jabot back in my high scool days, and my grandmother rummaged around and found a still-treasured jabot pin to adorn it.  I have also used mine on a coat lapel.

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Be sure to use both names, jabot/hat pin, as a jabot (frill at the ndeckline and front of a dress or blouse) may be more likely to be in use today.  My mother made me a dress which had a jabot back in my high scool days, and my grandmother rummaged around and found a still-treasured jabot pin to adorn it.  I have also used mine on a coat lapel.

Thanks for your suggestion! I'll be sure to do that! I'll incude both terms when I list it. I'm just so grateful to know what it is, because never, in a million years, would I have hit on the correct answer!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply