cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any help appreciated on what this thing is made of?

This is a large 4 inch pendant on a cord, I do not think it is old because it is on a cord, however it is heavy and fiborous I think..the top is carved . my husband thinks it is bakelite? no seams anywhere..Just a lumb..

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

this is another photo..

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

not 100% sure but I always thought those style of beads were a dyed stone? Is it cold and heavy?

DW

Photobucket

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

the color in the last photo also reminds me of carved ruby

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

That is the problem, it is not all that cold, it is heavy that is why I thought not plastic..

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thanks you guys, It is snowing so maybe I will set it out side and get it cold 🙂

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Sorry I have nothing to offer wrt helping ID the material - but everytime I look at this I think about all the things one could break while wearing it!

Can you imagine it swinging around and crashing your martini glass - whoops, I mean milk glass Woman Embarassed

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thanks This is a puzzle , It is heavy and at least as cold as coal, glass or jade.. it smels like pine I think when I hold it in my hand a long time to warm up.. It is scratched on the surface when magnafied.. I think it was laquered or coated with something.. the carved thing on the top is lighter and not as dense.. This photo is in bright light..

I would like to sell but need a discription to get it in a catagory? how about Talisman or Amulet?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

one more of the top..

Oh and the bottom where the wire is going thru it looks like glass or at least chipped like glass.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I agree with Cleio.  It looks like carved ruby to me.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks Cleio and Sandy, probably from india or something.. Maybe just call it a ruby red talisman ..Lump or chunk of something..

Message 11 of 11
latest reply