cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay now requiring item photo as part of return.

The assumption that everyone has a device to take photographs is wrong, and this new demand stops the Return Request in its tracks.  And, finding "direct  contact" with eBay is extremely difficult.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: eBay now requiring item photo as part of return.

I personally think this is great! As a seller it will allow me to evaluate whether or not to have the buyer send the item back or not. By requiring a photo for a return it will allow me to save money on return postage (no reason to pay postage for a broken or defective item to be sent back) and it will make it easier on buyers as well since by simply snapping a photo with their phone (or borrow a friend or family members phone to do so) they might not even have to bother with packing the item back up, printing a label and going to the post office to return it. Also it is nice to have photos if there is a return because then i am able to document the return better for my records. Lastly, photos can be helpful in certain situations if the item was damaged during shipping since the shipping carrier would also request photos if a claim were to be filed.

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

The seller can view it when they get it back

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

I agree. I use the computer of my local library. It doesn't not have capacity to take pictures. Now that I am aware of this policy I will probably limit my use of EBay.

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

In a situation such as that by providing the seller with a photo of the item first may allow the seller to determine how broken the item is and if the item cannot be easily repaired and the seller is able to determine this from a quick photo then often times they may not require you to send it back in order to be refunded which saves time and hassle for both of you.

Message 34 of 46
latest reply

This is ridiculous. I do not have a device to take a photo .

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

I'm not "reading " it anywhere; I'm actually going through it. The dvd I bought said there were English subtitles. I'm 86 and have a hearing problem and I make sure there are subtitles before I buy them. I'm going through the steps and, after typing a few sentences of reasons, my next step is to "please add 0/10 photos."  I have no photos of my dvd monitor with the wrong subtitle languages. My phone doesn't take pictures. Even if it did and I took photos of the 3 subtitle languages - Korean, Spanish and Off - they would just think that I slyly omitted a photo of the word "English." Some sellers have refunded me and handled the whole thing from their end, so I know it can be done. My seller has refused to let me return it unless I go through ebay's system, so I've just lost my money, period. 

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

I fully agree.  This is happening because the people at ebay are not capable of thinking outside of the box.  They assume that everyone owns a Smartphone or some other device in order to take a picture which I do not own and I am NOT going to purchase one either. 

There have been a lot of negative changes with ebay lately such as not being able to get in contact with an actual live person on the phone.  If ebay cannot provide good quality customer service by providing me with a real living human being then perhaps I should consider deleting my ebay account.   As an old school low tech non-conformist, I am sick and tired of having all of this technology shoved on me.    I would rather face death and die instead of being forced to conform to all of this mindless and soulless technology which is way out of control.   I'm tired of this lack of accountability from ebay.  

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

Well geez Rockstar...............We used to be able to return items without being required to provide a picture of the actual item.   You do remember those days don't you?   How short is your memory?   But then again most people (like yourself obviously) don't know how to speak up and challenge the system.   

I personally hate Smartphones along with the way people sit there and stare at them like the mindless drones that they are.   

Now watch ebay delete my comment because I spoke up and told the cold hard truth which is something most (modern day) people who live in this digital age do not like to hear these days.  

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

I have a sollution for you. I run an ebay store. We are JMB vintage and more I'll be glad to send you a free digital camera if you pay shipping. No strings attached. Find my store and contact me through it. 🙂

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

That is exactly what happened to me on 12/09/2023.I don't own a smart phone or digital camera and since the return cannot be photgraphed you are now unable to return the item.Why a photo is required is absurd.I have bought many items and never had to return untill now.I  bought a camera for parts (parts only) to fix my own.It arrived missing parts,including a major part that I needed.The seller did not mention that it was missing parts.So Ebay has no form of contact that  could find for assistance in my firstreturn to them.No email address for support,no live chat available,just a useless virtural assistant and no live support in their totally automated phone system.I ent to PayPal,trying to arrange my return compltely.In about 5days PayPal arranged a refund for me and provided me with a mailing address to send back the bought camera,incidentally at my cost for shippingWhat a rotten taste I have for Ebay,when things are smoothe Ebay is there to assist you but IF there is an issue,you cannot even contact them,to let them  Know there is a problem.Real  poor business ethics

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

I agree. I don't have the kind of phone to download a pic, and even if I did the seller can't see that the fake DS game he sold me doesn't work in the pic anyway's, so now I'm out of money. Not fair!

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

Disadvantage in life for not having a phone, what? Why pass judgement on someone like that. Not everyone can afford the new phones. I own a flip/phone still because at my age I don't need all the extras. Ebay should give buyer a choice to download a pic if they can and if they can't then Ebay should still allow us to file a claim for a seller selling someone fake DS game. E bay is not being fair on this topic and neither are you.

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

When you start the return process you will see that it will ask you for a photo of issue before being able to submit

Message 43 of 46
latest reply

You pay for an item on Ebay and when you purchase it your suppose to at least think/hope that the seller is selling  you something that works. I bought a DS game for my son that seller claims is a copy but that it works, and low and behold it doesn't work. So taking a picture of the Disk wouldn't show seller anything. He would have to be in person and turn game on to see that it doesn't work. so some things are to hard to prove

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

A Tracfone costs $19.99 at Dollar General and many other outlets. Then you can buy a $20 card that gives you unlimited talk and texting for 30 days. That's $39.99 plus tax and then it's $20 a month thereafter.  If you are that broke that you can't  afford $20  a month then you are too broke to be buying anything but food. Nowadays a phone is a necessity unless you're  a hermit. 

Message 45 of 46
latest reply