cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identifying this sewing related vintage item?

I have  several of these metal clip-type metal items that have small rods with them.  The black metal items are about 2" long.  They are printed with "5c each" and a number "17R" for example.  I think they are somehow sewing/thread related and they came from my husband's grandfather's country store.  I have an old spool cabinet that they were in.  What were they used for?  Thanks for any help100_5800.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The rods are bobbins for thread, probably for the old Singer treadle machines. The other things look like they might have held different size needles. I'm guessing the needles were for hand sewing. That really is just a guess based on the per each price and the many sizes marked on them.
Janet

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I don't recognize these as having anything to do with sewing, or sewing machines. Could be wrong on that.

Except for the price, the numbers are different on each of them. Is there anything else that is different about them?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

No, except for the numbers on them, they are identical.  Have no idea what they could be.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The rods are bobbins for thread, probably for the old Singer treadle machines. The other things look like they might have held different size needles. I'm guessing the needles were for hand sewing. That really is just a guess based on the per each price and the many sizes marked on them.
Janet
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks so much!
Message 5 of 5
latest reply