cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Militaria Collector's Corner

robin@ebay.com
Enthusiast
Hello and welcome to the Militaria Collector's Corner!

This is a special thread dedicated to all who love collecting Militaria and would appreciate chatting with others who share this interest! We hope this dedicated little corner will give you a way to more easily meet others in the community that share your interests.

Come in and make yourself at home! Tell us about your Militaria collections, your first piece, your favorite item, your favorite eBay find, share the histories behind your items--share share share!

A picture is always an enjoyable way to share with others, so feel free to use them here. If you need them, instructions for adding images to your posts are available from a thread at the top of this board.

Enjoy! ;0)

Robin
eBay
Community Development
---------------------------------------------------
Click here to read the latest community Newsletter
Click here for information on how to contact eBay with your questions and concerns

Click here to read the rules for posting to our boards.
Robin's About page

Message 1 of 1,071
latest reply
1,070 REPLIES 1,070

karon43
Enthusiast
Hi,

I have aquired these us telephones from the vietnam era anybody know anything about them ta-1 pt they are a pair in new condition complete with cases.
Message 526 of 1,071
latest reply

You should be able to put batteries in them and wire them together to talk back and forth. Ordinary Radio Shack speaker wire will work fine. Great fun for kids. Hope that helps.
*************** What follows is sig line*************
I collect fine cannon models, full-size antique cannons and artillery accouterments.
Message 527 of 1,071
latest reply

pancakeron
Scout
i have a slide trombone a little worn it shows usmc 1901 would anyone know its aprox value,
Message 528 of 1,071
latest reply

karon43
Enthusiast
Hi,
anybody know if my pt-1/ta phones are worth anything should i sell ?
Message 529 of 1,071
latest reply

wandasshop
Enthusiast
I have a discharge paper from the crimean war, i am having problems taking a picture of it. does anyone know how i can get a good picture? thanks
Message 530 of 1,071
latest reply

kotare1
Enthusiast
Hi wandasshop, an intersting question. When taking photo's of ephemera, esp OLD paper related items, digital cameras have this ability, similar to xrays, to detect and enhance any flaws in the paper that are not visible to the naked eye. I am assuming this is what is happening. Stay away from indoor light, this turns images even more yellow, use a flash. Dont photograph under fluro lights neither, turns photo's green, use a flash. You can use photo enhancing software on your PC but beware, you may inadvertantly make a buyer think it is in better condition than it actually is. Good luck!
Message 531 of 1,071
latest reply

kotare1
Enthusiast
Hi, is anyone out there knowledgeable on British badges? I have one I cannot identify. I thought it was Blackwatch but seems I am wrong. Ideas? Cheer's.

Message 532 of 1,071
latest reply

tsa-li
Thrill-Seeker
wandasshop: A scanner is perfect. If you don't have one, maybe take it to a friend's that does. Scan it and send it as an email attachment to yourself while at your friend's. I would use the highest dpi (probably 500 dpi or higher) setting possible on the scanner. kotare's suggestion is good for a digital camera and would add to again set the dpi setting to the highest possible and use some sort of support if you don't have a tripod. Good luck.

kotare: 42nd Highlander Regiment (possibly a repro but there are many variants & more info would be needed). (XCII = 42). Good luck.
Message 533 of 1,071
latest reply

I think that it would be the 92nd Highlanders. At some time this became the 92nd Gordon Highlanders. I also think that Blackwatch fits in there somehow but you should be able to research that out.

If it is authentic there should be hallmarks somewhere on it and as long as it isn't a forgery they should date it. Also it wouldn't be any earlier than the battles that are noted or alluded to on it.
Message 534 of 1,071
latest reply

tsa-li
Thrill-Seeker
Thanks. That's right - 92nd Highlanders. (At least I can try the excuse that the spell checker didn't catch it, but it was just a typo).
Message 535 of 1,071
latest reply

kotare1
Enthusiast
Hi and thankyou like_last_weeks_seafood &
tsa-li for the response re my Black watch badge question. I have an elderly friend who
deals in Australian Militaria who after seeing it believes it to be original.
Both the 42nd and 92nd are entitled to have the sphinx, which this has. The problem is that it is not referenced in Kipling & King's HEAD-DRESS BADGES OF THE
BRITISH ARMY VOL 1. The lugs have been replaced, (copper on white metal, not silver) there are
NO makers marks, and it measures 93mm x 71 or 3 3/4' x 2 3/4'. It looks like a Shako,
but because it is not listed I am wondering, could it have been made for some other purpose rather than for headdress. Questions, questions and more questions. Perhaps I should just admit that it is most likely a fake, a supremely attractive one at that, and appreciate it for what it is, a very good looking piece of stamped metal. At least it didn’t cost much.
Cheer's guys.
Message 536 of 1,071
latest reply

wandasshop
Enthusiast
Thanks for your advice with the digital camera i was inside when i was doing it.. and i think i will try a scanner and see if that works too. thank you very much..:-)
Message 537 of 1,071
latest reply

deradler1
Thrill-Seeker
kotare1-If it is a Blackwatch badge it could possibly have been made to pin on a kilt or to hold the tartar of the clan as part of the official Scottish uniform. That would explain why ot seems like it it too large to fit on a hat or shako.

deradler1
-
deradler1

Der Adler Military Artifacts
German Military items
Message 538 of 1,071
latest reply

kotare1
Enthusiast
Thanks DERADLER1, I think you are correct insomuch that it is not Head-dress. My annoyance at not being able to identify what should be identifiable will keep me on the path of discovery and hopefully, one day, will get the answers. And if it is of interest to you, will post what I find. Cheer's for your great help Deradler.
Message 539 of 1,071
latest reply

I have a goblet engraved VII Annual Tomcat Ball.....anyone know when that was? Internet doesn't give much info on this.
Thanks!

Message 540 of 1,071
latest reply