cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to make good money on ebay?

I'm relatively new to ebay and I've sold a few things, but all of the bids I'm getting are small.  What's the secret to making more money? 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: is it possible to make good money on ebay?

Fixed price, good till cancelled listings. Set your price to cover shipping and some profit.

Only use auctions if you have an item that could be in high demand.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the response!  Will use that method with my next listing.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Titles- you don't need Ladies Purse -- only mention gender when it is a man's purse.

Brand names- are any of your purses brand names? I search on particular brands not "purse/bag/handbag" .

Check the asking prices for Betsy Johnson. Your garment seems low.

You will get more attention and buyer confidence as your feedback rises. Read up on Top Rated Seller status and aim for that. You also get discounts with TRS.

Sell internationally, but only use Global Shipping Program if the value is over $50. I'm Canadian, trust me on this. Or read the 4000 posts complaining about the GSP on eBaydotCA.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks!  Appreciate your feedback and that you took the time to check out my items when doing so!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I buy low and sell with the price set to cover all expenses and a small profit. One trick I use is to list at one time as many items that can be used together the more items purchased in a single buy shipped together makes you considerably more money. I am a buy it now seller only. If you have a store and can use the promotional feature this works even better. I started about a year ago with a store and now have an anchor store with over 2000 listings and most are multiple items. Keep listing the numbers come with time and proven excellent customer service. Ship items as fast as humanly possible. That very very important and ship free.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thanks! Great advice that I will be following!
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

It is important to keep an eye on your listing numbers.  the soonest possible chance to get a store at any level the better for your business.  the cost is more than made up for the reduced listing and free listings.  the software upgrades help too.  buyers see a stable seller and you can make it your ebay store and brand share with social media etc...  i made the mistake of waiting too long and could have saved considerable money.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thank you so much for this response! I asked this same question about an hour ago, and you gave me my answer to someone else's question - such economy!! 

I'm planning on opening a store in September. Do you have any advice for what I should do to prepare before I open it?

-Tracey/ubertrove

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I'd like to disagree with an earlier poster. I don't want to make a 'small' profit. I want to make a BIG HONKIN profit. Woman Very Happy

I notice that seller is able to make multiple sales to the same customer (not usually possible with my lines) so his total may make a small profit on many items worthwhile. Certainly scrapbookers find that is true, for one category.

But don't mistake 'profit' for 'markup'. You have to work out all your costs before you can set your asking price. And I would argue that that includes your time. Here in Ontario Canada our minimum wage is 17 cents a minute. ($11 an hour). So if it takes you half an hour to photograph or scan your item, write the description, add HTML coding and fill the Sell Your Item Form, then 15 minutes to package, weigh and measure the parcel, Your item has cost you $7.65 before any other costs like eBay fees, procurement costs, and postage.

You will get faster at listing as you get used to it. Like anything else.

Another point, the more items you have for sale the more hits you will get. The minimum number of items in a Store to be economical is supposed to be 54 unique items.

Put a link to your Store in every listing (one of the few links we are allowed).

I really saw a drop off in sales when I removed all my book listings prepratory to moving across the country this fall. I went from nearly 3000 listings to about 500 on this ID. And when on another ID, supplies of my most popular product dried up temporarily, again, nothing else was selling either.  I am confident I will be back in the game by January when we are settled in to our new home, but it was a surprise.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Offer a good product listed with every detail and 12 images.  Offer a good returns and free shipping.  Important list something every day. If its not listing it can not be sold.  I avoid over inflation of price I charge what I paid what fees and shipping cost are and a reasonable profit.  I rather not be greedy and sell 10 times rather than wait for one to pay too much.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply